1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AK Michelle, Apr 14, 2009.

1. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    This was my first time hatching. I had 12 eggs in the incubator, then I added 17 more (Woops)

So I built a hatcher, to accomodate the staggered hatch. of the original 12, 2 didn't develope, 10 had movement when they went into the hatcher. 1 was already peeping before the move.

The temp in the hatcher was about 98.5 - 99-ish, humidity between 68 to 72. When I had the first pip the temp and humidity jumped, and then the 2nd pip had the same result. I know I shouldn't have opened the lid but it was so hot almost 110 and the humidity was in the 80's, so I lifted the lid wide for 10 seconds and then closed it. Temp down to 103 (mercury thermo)

Another pip, another spike, this time I used the lid to fan the hatcher 3 or 4 times, temp back down. We watched as the first pipper rocked and rolled and cheeped and chirped. It took 3 or 4 hours and she was out! 2nd pipper still just pipping and rocking. Now we see another pip. but I don't want to lift the lid cause Kathy is still wet and I don't want to give her a chill so I lift the corner farthest from her and prop it open with a pen for about 5 minutes.

Trying to keep it under 103. getting a little stressed, but then I thought, maybe the spike is normal. so I close the lid and go to bed. In the morning we have a nearly dry chick but we leave her cause I don't want to open it and I don't want her to be lonely. I had to leave to go to the hatchery (3 hour drive each way) to pick up chicks I had ordered. Kids are home watching things. the 2nd pipper has stopped, the 3rd pipper is zipping. New chick is helping the zipper. All of a sudden another chick bursts out of an egg the kids didn't notice had pipped. They name her Porsche because she's so fast. the zipper started bleeding when chick 1 helped, that one stopped.

When I got home I quickly snatched the first chick out and put her with the other newbies that I just brought home so she couldn't "help" any more. Then we had another pip & zip and got our 3rd chick. didn't notice a spike on that one.

Now the remaining 5 have nothing, no movement, it's been 48 hours since the last hatch so I think they're done.

Is the temp supposed to spike? should I have left things alone rather than trying to balance the spikes? Is there anything else I should have done differently? I have another 9 that should be ready to hatch day after tomorrow and I want a better hatch rate.

Michelle

2. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Do you think putting several washcloths or sponges soaked in cold water in there would bring the temperature down? I think it might. (It will up the humidity I know as I do this all the time in mine, using warm, damp washcloths.) I would be willing to risk temporarily losing some humidity as you will be adding it with the cloths, to keep the temp down as it was definitely running too high, as I know you're aware.
    Good luck with future hatches. The wet cloths work great for keeping humidity up for me.

3. AK Michelle

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Quote:So are you saying that by adding damp washclothes they will stabilize the temperature? I hadn't heard of that, I will have to try that. Anything to give these babies a better chance.

Thanks,

4. chicklady63

Feb 10, 2009
    I'm just saying that I wonder if adding washcloths that have been wet in cold water would bring the high temps down as the cloths would cool the air I think. Maybe not. I do know that when I need to add humidity I put washcloths dampened in warm water in the incubator. Humidity stays great and temps seem to stay more steady. I have not ever had to lower such a high temp as you're talking about though, but I would think the cold cloths might work sort of like applying cool cloths to a person with a fever. You could just give it a try and see. It would be a quick fix if anything and you would have to repeat it if the temps lingered high like that. Do you know why your temps are running so very high? You should probably find a way to permanently correct the problem as temperatures that high are definitely deadly to developing embryos. Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  5. AK Michelle

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I wasn't sure if it was a "normal" thing or not. It was holding a nice even temp and then BAM, spiked quick! The only thing I could see causing the spike was a new pip.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Michelle

6. chicklady63

Feb 10, 2009
    I don't think it's normal. I do know that full-term eggs, so to speak, put off some of their on heat as they progress in development toward hatching time, but that high of a temperature is not good. It needs to be lowered as soon as possible and kept to the 991/2 - 1oo degrees range.

7. AK Michelle

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I think I'm going to play around with more ventilation before the next batch is ready to hatch and see if I can prevent those issues forthe next round.

It's a puzzle....[​IMG]
    Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by