Hatching questions

muddler6

Songster
12 Years
Sep 12, 2007
Jefferson County, PA
Alright, I got my new used incubator in the mail yesterday, I just want to make sure I have the timelines down, I pan to hatch chickens, for now anyways. I'm looking at 20 to 30 days from when they go in till they start hatching out, right? And I read in here that having a seperate "Hatcher" keeps the incubator cleaner and more sanitary. I have seen some plans, and since I don't have to worry about turning them at that point I have some ideas for a removable tray for clean up, probably use an old cooler with a window fixed in the top, I have a thermostat, and will use a light bulb. I assume I need to focus on humidity then too? I don't "plan" to start until March, but then again I wasn't going to get any more birds until spring and I have 5 bantam cochins out back right now, so you never know. (Let the enabling begin)
big_smile.png

Anyone.......Help....? Just wanted to make sure about the timeline on hatching. Of if someone has a post on this already let me know where I can find that as well, Please?

21 days-htchers do help, but can be expensive and unnessisary. you can let them all hatch in the incubator, and let them dry off. as soon as they dry off, put them in a brooder. this can be as simple as a box with a heat lamp. from the hatches i've had, it usually isn't to messy.

I already have a brooder, basically a plywood box that I made, I have a divider to make it whatever size I need for whatever may be in it at the time, and I cover it with plywood and hardware cloth. and set the heat lamp over the hardware cloth, and adjust the size bulb to accomdate temp.

I have an incubator that I use as a incubator and hatcher.I started hatching 2 years ago. I count from the day I put the eggs in the incubator 18 days. On the 18th day I put the eggs in the bottom of the incubator and within 4-5 days they will start hatching. I leave the babies in there until they are dry and then put them in the brooder.I put a 100 watt light bulb attached to the brooder because that is the tempature I use in the incubator. Then on the second day I start giving them feed and water. I use chick starter as it is medicated and I feed them that until they are 17 weeks then I start them on Layer Crumbles and oyster shells.Hope this helps you.

Very helpful!! Thanks! I had planned to build a second Incubator / hatcher, but if I don't need to then maybe I can skip the second one. Now do I keep the fan going or do I turn that off? It's a Hova-bator with a built in fan. Obviously I would remove the egg turner and set the eggs back inside.

You folks are great!! And a little enabling, like many of you admit to. Now I am getting the itch to start hatching, but I am going to try and hold out for a couple more months. My bantam cochins are practicing making little ones, I don't think the cockeral is quite old enough yet to get it done, but he is sure giving it his best.
How old do they have to be to fertilize eggs? My boys are maybe 25 to 30 weeks or so old. (I lost track, oops)

Last edited:
I think they are doing their job just fine now. You can figure on about 6 months and your's are that old so better start hatching. Really, there is no way you are going to be able to wait 2 months, so you might as well face it and get those eggs in the bator.
big_smile.png

I only use one incubator too..turn 3 times a day..candle on day 7, 14 and 18...stop turning...up humidity and do not open the bator...have your brooder set up and ready for them, they will be fine...I've never had a messy hatch...no need for a hatcher...

When the rooster starts mating his pullets or hens just a week or so and you can start looking for fertile eggs from him.....

Back
Top Bottom