Hatching questions

kwynn's birds Alaska

Songster
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
Kenai, Alaska
My quail eggs were supposed to hatch yesterday. I havn't even seen them move or anything. am I supposed to see if I can hear anything? I read where to not open the incubator once you have stopped turning.

Am I supposed to have the eggs in a different bator? (Hatcher?) after I stop turning them...I have them in the bator with an egg turner. I took a few rails out of the turner, so the eggs could sit on the screen. I'm afraid that if they do hatch, or any of the other ones here this week, the turner might pin or crush them.

How long should I wait before I take the "duds" out of the bator. like I said it's day 18...should I give it another day or 2? It's still hard to see anything in thenother quail eggs when I candle them... I mainley can see the air bubble, and that's about it.

Also, is bantam eggs 21 days like reg. Chickens?

Thanks!
smile.png

bantams are 21 days like other chickens. If everyone is on 18 days, pull out the turner completely because the chicks can get their feet stuck in it. Some people put their eggs in egg cartons to hatch, but if your quail have been sitting on their sides for several days, i wouldn't move them. If chickn eggs can take up to three or four extra days to hatch, i don't see why quail can't run late too. Just be patient and pray, lol.

I'm sending you some good hatching vibes.

I would take the turner out, but everyone is on different days. We couldn't stop putting eggs in there! I could try the egg carton thing, here in a few days. Do you put the egg carton back into the bator? I did read where they could be late in hatching, how long is too long?

I've been praying since I put the eggs in there LOL
big_smile.png

(I'm a first timer)

Yes, you put the carton back in the bator. I guess it keeps the eggs from rolling around, keeps your bator cleaner, and a lot of times, the babies will run around some, then head back to the egg cartons to sleep for a bit. Poor, tuckered out chicks!

If one section of your bator is totally cleared of the turner sections, you could use thin cardboard taped to the sides of the bottom of the bator to keep the chicks in a smaller area and away from the turner. There's a thread in here from a couple of days ago that you can learn more about that if you are concerned.

Back
Top Bottom