Hatching questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by double BB quail, Feb 18, 2015.

1. double BB quail

double BB quail Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2014
    My first quail hatched this morning, how long do I need to leave in the incubator? Also another one has pipped and zipped but not all the way and no activity, with 13 more eggs in the incubator? At a lost on what to do.

2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    I leave them in the incubator for 24 hours or until they're dry. How long ago did the one pip?

3. double BB quail

Dec 10, 2014
    My wife thought it was one pipping but come to find out it was the shell the one came out of. Lol. It hatch about 8 this morning and looks pretty dry. What about my other eggs? Do I add more water to raise the humidity back up when I get that one out?

4. Jedwards

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Try not to open the incubator these last couple days. As long as the quail chick isn't hurting himself he will be fine in there for 24 hours. Did any other eggs pip? what is the humidity? if it's under like 60% it could use some water.

5. Jedwards

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    What kind of incubator do you have?

6. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Once they are both dry, put them in the brooder, quails get very dehydrated if left in the incubator for a whole 24 hours. Just spray some water in the incubator after you are done taking the chicks out. The other eggs should be fine!

Best of luck!:D

7. double BB quail

Dec 10, 2014
    it is a homemade incubator thanks

8. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Please do not give information you do not have. BUTTON quail can't be left in the incubator for a full 24 hours and should be removed within 12 hours. All other types of full size quail can easily be left in the incubator for 24 hours. They can usually be pulled out any time after the 12 hour mark if required, but all my coturnix spend about 24 hours in the bator before they come out. At that point they are living off of their yolk sac and often won't eat or drink immediately when put in the brooder anyway. There is a risk of hypothermia if you pull them out before they are fully dried.

Be aware that if eggs are pipped (the shells broken through by a beak) and you open the door, you will shrink wrap the quail in those pipped eggs. They most likely will die. If you have to leave one or two chicks in the bator for longer than 24 hours bc eggs are pipped then, that's what you have to do. The good of the one vs the good of the many.

9. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Um, I said the exact same thing! Kinda confused! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

"quails get very dehydrated if left in the incubator for a whole 24 hours"

Not true at all.

edit to add: every species has different rules for hatching and handling, perfect example is buttons needing to come out of the bator by 12 hours and coturnix, bobwhites and most other new world quail should be left in the bator AT LEAST 12 hours and are fully equipped to spend 24 hours in the incubator. Cots can be brooded under any lights, bobs have to be brooded under red. Cots hatch in 17-19 bobs and the new world group 21-23.

I've never had a chick die from being left in the bator and I've had to leave early hatchers in for more than 30 hours many times with no ill effects.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by