hatching rate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seramaman, May 6, 2011.

1. seramaman

seramaman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    does any body have a100% hatch rate cause i do somebody told me that it was an acomplishment

2. bds613

bds613 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    Texas
    congrats! [​IMG]

3. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    it is an accomplishment I have never had 100% but I have had lots of 98 and 99%

4. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Congrats! I've had a few 100% rates on our Dominique breeding pens, but the other breeds not so much [​IMG]. Looking to improve that in the years to come!

5. nursrose3

nursrose3 New Egg

May 22, 2010
    Kansas
    Great work! Try to make your self some notes on how you handled the Incubation from start to finish. I am on my 4th incubation and making notes as I go. The first time I was given some eggs and didn't know their handling before they reached me. Even with very careful incubation, I only had 50%. The next time the eggs came from my girls and boys. With careful handling, I got 73%. I am a teacher. One of the other teachers wanted to do a life cycle unit and asked if I would be willing to let them hatch a few eggs. Out of 16 fertilized eggs only one lived (not happy). I think they were handled too much and temp/humidity weren't monitored like at home. This time around It looks like we are track for 80-90%.

All that said-- you learn as you go and since you started off on the "right foot" with 100% make sure to note what you did; because if you don't hatch again until next year you may forget some of the special things you did to get such a phenomenal hatch rate![​IMG]

6. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I just hatched 7 out of 8 EE eggs. I think the better the incubator, the better the rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by