Hatching Rate

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickbird, Nov 9, 2011.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    For Those Of You Who Hatch Quail Eggs, What Percentage Of Your Eggs Actually Hatch Out, Considering Temp And Humidity Remains Good?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I get almost 100% hatch here if incubators function right. This is with my own eggs. One incubator passed on so all eggs in there were flown to the first available empty incubator. Some eggs didn't survive even after life attempts to bring them back [​IMG] I had to put some humor into the incubator malfunction as that incubator was 5+ years old and lots of history behind it and the eggs weren't toss aways!

3. chickbird

May 4, 2009
    Quote:i only got 10 out of 40 eggs even though temp and humidity were constant and with an auto- egg tuner. just don't know what happened. now have 100 + of my own first eggs in and will see how they turn out.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Do you have lighting, how is the diet? Sometimes it's not the incubator, sometimes it's the season and the birds not mating as much.

5. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:i only got 10 out of 40 eggs even though temp and humidity were constant and with an auto- egg tuner. just don't know what happened. now have 100 + of my own first eggs in and will see how they turn out.

10 our of 40? Were they shipped eggs?

Shipped eggs tend to have a low hatch rate.

I just hatched 8 out of 10 of our own. The 2 that didn't were never fertilized. Were hand turning ours.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Shipped eggs are not doing well lately because of the increasing of xraying by the po and also lots of mishandling. At least you got some to hatch! That's always something to cherish! You can always contact the breeder and ask for help in your hatching as well.

7. chickbird

May 4, 2009
    Quote:THESE WERE THE EGGS YOU SENT ME. IN MY OLDER QUAIL, I DO USE LIGHTING AND A 30% PROTEIN GAME BIRD FEED AS WELL AS BIRD SEED,GREENS AND FRUITS. I AM CURRENTLY INCUBATING SOME OF THEIR FIRST EGGS. HOPE THEY ARE FERTILE, DID CHECK SOME FOR BULLS EYE AND THEY HAD IT.

8. chickbird

May 4, 2009
    Quote:THESE WERE THE EGGS YOU SENT ME, MY QUAIL THAT I PURCHASED DO HAVE LIGHTING, A GOOD DIET AND I HAVE PLACED MY FIRST EGGS IN THE INCUBATOR FROM THEM, HOPE THEY ARE FERTILE, THEY ARE MATING LIKE CRAZY.

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Well I wasn't expecting it in public but there are a lot of factors with shipped eggs after they leave the breeder as I mentioned. Good luck with your other eggs [​IMG]

10. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    My experiences with shipped eggs have been poor. I don't fault the suppliers at all and put the blame purely on handling during shipping. My first batch of 12 eggs had 4 hatch (25%). All the eggs arrived in good condition. 2nd batch of about 30 eggs had many smashed and I mean smashed with egg all over their neighbors. 15 were good ones and only 6 hatched. The third shipment was much worse and cooked over 4th of July weekend. The whole thing smelled as soon as I opened the box. I had about another 15 whole eggs that I put in the 'bator to give them a chance and they proceeded to explode one by one. That was NOT fun. I was cleaning the 'bator between explosions. [​IMG]

With the eggs I collected for the September 1 Hatch-a-Long, I put 43 in the bator, 5 were clear, 37 hatched, and there was one dud. I wasn't brave enough to open the dud!

So, unfortunately, your experienced with shipped eggs is not uncommon.

Good luck on your first eggs! You will definitely be happier with the hatch rate barring unforeseen any incubator disasters. (And there are lots of us here who can sympathize with those). [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by