hatching right now! question-please help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snaffle1, Oct 19, 2008.

1. snaffle1

snaffle1 New Egg

May 4, 2008
    NC
    Three babies hatched this morning...they are at 21 days today (Jersey Giants).

Two are normal and have been taken to the brooder so as not to interfere with the third. I am attempting to attach a pic I took of third. Basically he is out of the shell but still attached to it. He is alternating between sleeping and chirping/kicking around but hasn't got up. I am theorizing that he is still absorbing yolk sac but am completely guessing. I am thinking of confining him to his corner until that shell comes off on its own....any suggestions to do anything different??? TIA!!!!
    [​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Just leave him alone and let him get out of it by himself. The less you open the incubator the better off all the other eggs will be, b/c they won't dry out as much.

3. snaffle1

snaffle1 New Egg

May 4, 2008
    NC
    Thanks Kelly. I appreciate it. I was hoping that leaving him alone would give me an optimistic answer [​IMG]

4. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

If you can block it off so the others don't bother it when the hatch, that might help. Poor baby.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks normal to me. Just leave him there and try not to open the bator till the hatch is almost done. Little guy probably was a bit eagar to get out and so is tired as all get out. Doesn't look like yolk out there, just normal stuff that dries up and get's flaky.

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

i would have left the others in the incubator also. but since they are already out, not much you can do.

Its best to leave them in the incubator for at least 24 hours so they can dry out completely before moving them.

7. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    I agree leave him to try to get detached by himself. IF he doesnt after the others hatch you can detach him but make sure you dont cut it in a clean cut. You need to to be like a uneven tear, Its easy the drier it gets.

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

well whats the update? Did he make it? Is he detached?

9. snaffle1

snaffle1 New Egg

May 4, 2008
    NC
    He DID make it. I left him in there until the egg unattached itself. That huge goo dissipated and the shell ended up looking fairly dry and empty like the others. Thanks for all the support...I didn't notice until tonight that so many extra people had posted after Kelly.

Jaime

10. snaffle1

snaffle1 New Egg

May 4, 2008
    NC
    THANK YOU to everyone who cared enough to post. All three babies are doing well (see below). The final egg pictured in the first photo did not hatch, so I have three but am thankful. They are cute as buttons and much friendlier than my three week old turkens [​IMG]

Jaime

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by