hatching right now

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KY Mae Hen, Sep 21, 2011.

1. KY Mae Hen

KY Mae Hen New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    My name is KY Mae Hen, NOVICE... this is my first incubator batch.. two eggs are hatching? Neighbor mentioned I should be hearing them tap... and the last three days I did. What I didn't know was not to touch or turn the eggs the last three days so I think... oh gads I don't know... any way is anyone out there? As mentioned, two are hatching and stupid is as stupid who does not do her homework, I am helping the chicks with their shell as it has been several hours. but now I think that was not a prudent idea! There was a 4-H video that showed the chickies hatching in 18 minutes. Now as I read more since my chickies were not breaking out of their shell... it normally takes about 6 hours... aarrgh...stupid video ( I love 4-H so don't get me wrong there.. best program ever!!!).
    I am using a self turning incubator that keeps the eggs at about 97. I have added water every day or almost every day. Pipping must be when the chick is busting open the egg. WHAT IS LOCK DOWN?
    After finally getting into this site, I discovered my last three days I was doing everything wrong... I just removed the egg holders hours before the first chick busted its shell. I thought I heard chipping in about four eggs and did not know I was not to turn the eggs so now I don't hear chipping in two of the four... The incubator moves them back and forth but I figured I should spin them. Neighbor told me to keep the eggs with the large side up but I finally thought that doesn't feel right so I turned the sideways, small end down.
    Guess my QUESTION IS...I picked away at the shell and after reviewing the website that recommended helping the chicks, have covered the membrane with a moist cloth... I am just about in tears, I could help the chicks with their shell, but then there is the membrane and the moisture... OMGoodness.
    On a good note. I am building a new coop for the chickens. It is out of recycled products so the time element is elongated but it is going to be awesome. Thank you to all the folks who contributed coop plans.

2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

3. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad you joined us. I would definitely post this in the incubating section. I have no experience with this, but there are many here who can help. Best of luck!

[​IMG]

4. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

[​IMG]

5. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok first of all [​IMG]
    I'm just going to number my suggestions as I got along.
    1. For the ones you tried helping, keep a warm wet towel over the membrane but don't cover the hole that they're breathing through.
    2. Turning was supposed to stop at Day 18 but it shouldn't hurt them that you gave them an extra turn. Just don't do it anymore LoL
    3. Lockdown is when you stop turning or touching or opening the eggs and incubator. Shut it up tight until they hatch. This starts after Day 18.
    4. Yes, pipping is when they make their first hole in the egg.
    5. Keep the eggs horizontal and maybe at a slight angle where the larger end is slightly higher than the smaller end.
    The chicks will (are supposed to) hatch out of the bigger end of the egg. I can take a very long time so grab a book. They will first pip through their membrane inside the egg and then they will rest and gather energy to make their first pip through the shell. They may rest again after that. Hatching out can take up to 36 hours. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
    [​IMG] Good luck with your hatch. Ask us anything, someone will answer.
    If we don't answer fast enough, go to the Learning Center on the home page.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, KY Mae! [​IMG] Happy you joined and that you are hatching some eggs! Have fun, enjoy your chicks and BYC!! [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Great advice from TinyChickenLady [​IMG] If you do help anymore go slowly (removing a little at a time just as the chick would do) and if you see blood, stop and put the egg back in the incubator. But it's usually better not to help. If you don't hear chirping from the chicks, it's not necessarily a bad thing because they tend to rest some during the hatching process. I have some now that have pipped and are resting before they start zipping. If you haven't already seen them, there are some great stickies at the top of the Incubating & Hatching section and also a lot of very helpful people, too.
    Lots of good luck [​IMG]

9. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    You're brave to start out hatching! Best of luck to you. It's a learning experience for everyone at some point.
    [​IMG]

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by