Hatching Roadside Stand Eggs UPDATED ***PICS ON PAGE 2****

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by R3Rugrats, Jul 31, 2008.

1. R3Rugrats

R3Rugrats Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2008
    Maine
    So... I was out of eggs one day.. and instead of going to the store, picked up 2 dozen eggs from a roadside stand. While I was carrying them back to my car, I heard a rooster crow... Oh boy... I got so excited... heart pounding.. I can try to hatch these babies...[​IMG].. My bator was empty, why not... So out of 24, 10 were viable on day 18.. I'm on day 21 and one is hatching.. very exciting... I have no idea what they are, but it'll be fun... I'll post pictures so everyone can guess what they are...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. lesliet

lesliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Webster, FL
    can't wait to see what you get

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Thats a fun idea! It will be fun to see your mystery chicks! Keep us posted.

4. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Hmmmm so guess you didn't have any eggs for dinner? LOL

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    COOL! I have thought of doing that just for fun to see what I would get! I was going to hatch some of my egg lady's eggs but now she told me her hubby butchered her only two roos...they were fighting and getting very mean [​IMG] She took a new baby blue roo from me and she is looking forward to hearing those crows again. She said it 's way to quiet now! lol
    Can't wait to see pics of your mystery chicks! It will be fun guessing what they are!

6. R3Rugrats

Jun 5, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG] Nope.. No eggs that night.. This will be fun, I couldn't see the chickens or the rooster from the road, I could just hear them... So.. we'll see. There are brown eggs, white eggs, tiny ones and large ones.. Quite the mixture.

7. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    I have wondered about doing this too. But then I thought, if those eggs were ever put in the refrigerator, won't their fertility be ruined? Does anyone know about this?
    [​IMG]
    Good luck with your experiment!

8. R3Rugrats

Jun 5, 2008
    Maine
    I'm not sure if it'll ruin the fertile eggs, thats a really good question I hope someone answers it, I'd like to know.

One hatched [​IMG] its yellow and black stripes, I guess. And another one's cracked... so exciting.

9. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I had some one take some of my silkie eggs that was in the frige to see if they would still hatch and they did. She said all but 1 hatched and is doing great so it can be done.
    Chris

10. R3Rugrats

Jun 5, 2008
    Maine
    Oh... It has feathered legs and on the outer side of her foot....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by