Hatching ?'s

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PhlyinPheBee, Apr 18, 2009.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I have 4 RIR eggs under a broody frizzle bantam. I had to check to see if anyone laid an egg in her nest. Yes they did.........but I found one of the RIR with a nickel size hole in the side. Through the membrane and all. Today is day 18. I think that I saw the chick move. What should I do???????

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Got an incuabator or hatcher you can get up to humidity quick?

3. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Nope. [​IMG] Just have the hen. [​IMG] I just thought she would hatch them out. [​IMG] It is done all the time. I just did not expect this. [​IMG]

4. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    What about under a light with a bowl of hot water in there steaming???

5. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Anyone have any ideas????????

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    The hen can't finish hatching the chicks? Did she get up?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  7. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    That is my quetion?? Can she do it?? I just checked and it was opening face down on nest. Is that ok??????????????

8. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Your hen should be able to hatch the chick ok. Does it look like the chick actually pipped the egg. Sometimes a first time broody hen will peck the egg especially if things do not seem right to her. You rarely see a egg pip naturally at 18 days under a broody. I sent you a message about the emergency double boiler I used but I think I would still let the hen sit on the eggs.

Sometimes thing are just not right with an egg and the hen will usually know. No matter what we do, thing sometimes do not work out for every chick. It is really hard to accept but my advise to you is try to be prepared to let the hen do what comes naturally. With that being said, there are some bad moms and they for some reason do a terrible job of hatching. Keep a close eye on her and the other eggs and if there are anymore eggs with holes then you might intervene. Most hens will learn the knack of hatching and do a great job but some are just not good at it.

9. PhlyinPheBee

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I just went out and checked the egg under the hen and it is still alive. More of the shell is crushed and the membrane is really dry. The hole is on the side.

thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by