Hatching sebastopol eggs :)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sophie1508, Apr 3, 2012.

1. sophie1508

sophie1508 New Egg

Dec 17, 2011
    Derbyshire, UK
    Ok, so after my failed attempt last time, i have 7 more, fertile sebbie eggs in the incubator!!
    (we have a brinsea 380 advance with humidity pump)
    Humidity at the moment is 45%, temp 37.4-37.5 :)

All of the embryos appear to be growing well, and their air sacs are growing nicely (haven't lost quite enough "weight" at the moment, but their air sacs seem to be doing nicely!)

I have been cooling them for 15 minutes, and misting lightly each day

We are on day 18 today.
    So, basically, my question is

When do i stop turning?!?!?! - advice on the internet, and from others, is sooo varying, some say to stop turning day 25, and up the humidity, others stop turning a little later on, and only up the humidity when they pip? - i guess that is person preference, really i just want to know when to stop turning, and will decide on the humidity thing a little later on

Hope somebody can help me :)

xx

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Read the hatching guide at the top of the geese area here. Lower your humidity to closer to 30% right now to help increase the weight loss.

3. sophie1508

sophie1508 New Egg

Dec 17, 2011
    Derbyshire, UK
    Thanks, followed that last time though - and with him saying "by day 24-27, depending on breed" - it doesnt really help me :(
    guess i will just have to follow it again, and hope for the best :) xxxx

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    If you followed it before and watched for the signs of internal pipping and had your temp and humidity properly set you should have had atleast 1 hatch. Now if you haven't calibrated your thermometer and hydrometer then your readings will be off and that can cause for a failed hatch.

You need to mark the aircell and watch the gosling turn inside and then finally internally pipping when following the hatching guide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by