Hatching Serama Eggs...need Advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by usmchomesteader, Aug 11, 2011.

1. usmchomesteader

usmchomesteader Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    A few weeks ago I purchased a pair of Serama Bantams at a chicken swap in Florida. They are about 4 months old and the hen has started laying on Aug 3rd...4 eggs so far with about 1 every 2 days or so. I find them in the pine shavings litter and put them in a very visible nest box but she is ignoring them. I have an automatic 3 egg incubator that I would like to use to try to hatch them. It would take about 6 days to get 3 eggs and start the cycle. Assuming the eggs were fertile to start with, would the six day delay in starting the incubation process be too long? I do not have any small brooding hens I can use and from a practical standpoint would only be able to keep the eggs at a temperature of about 75 degrees during the waiting period. I thank you in advance for any and all advice on this topic.

Bob Paine, NE Florida

2. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Just turn them 2 or 3 times every day and they will be fine.

3. Dont be so quick to incubate those eggs. Hens lay until they are ready to go broody. Mine usually sit on about 20 eggs at a time! They wont go bad for about 3 weeks if left untouched by your hen. I would advise you to get em in an incubator if she lays more than 15 and isnt sitting on any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by