1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Seramas

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by offshorewife, Mar 11, 2009.

1. offshorewife

offshorewife Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    North Louisiana
    I want to try my hand at hatching with an incubator. We typically let our broody hens hatch for us. However, I really want some Seramas and haven't been able to find any adults in my area therefore I guess I'm going to have to take matters into my own hands.

Are there any tips or tricks for these little guys? Will the Serama eggs fit in a quail egg turner or will I need to hand turn?
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

Mine were fine in the chicken egg turner. Stop turning on day 16, as they hatch, usually on day 19... a little earlier than other chickens.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I wouldn't start with seramas unless you want to waste a little money. They are a bit harder to hatch than other eggs anyway, then add the shipping stress, and first time incubating and it probably wouldn't be good. I would actually suggest some cheap local eggs as your first hatch. If you don't want to keep them just pick something you can sell. I killed a whole bunch of japanese bantams my first 2 hatches until I learned how my incubator worked. After hatching all winter and working out the details I finally got my first serama eggs this week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by