1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatching shipped BCM eggs, PIC heavy. HATCHING started 9/25!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 6littlechickies, Sep 10, 2009.

1. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    I've completed a few hatches with our own chickens and some shipped quail eggs. I've had anywhere from 85% to 100% hatch rates. This is my first hatch with shipped eggs, I know i could have picked a breed that was a little less pricey and easier but hey, i like a challenge!

DH really wanted to get some nice breeding stock of one breed. I've always liked the really dark chocolate color eggs of marans. He looked around and decided he wanted BCM so we ended up buying from three buyers on ebay while we (not so patiently) wait for some from Bev Davis (she said possibly in the spring). We have a total of 31 eggs that were set on 9/5. I am going to chronicle the hatch here for reference and if anyone has any pointers at all, I'd love to hear them! As I said, this is my first time hatching BCM and I know we have lots of experts here so I'll take any advice I can get!

**I am going to refer to the sellers by initial only.**

our first shipment was from *R* and had 16 eggs (auction was for 10+). All eggs were shipped well and arrived unharmed. They are not nearly as dark as i expected but the seller assured me they are BCM but at the end of their cycle right now. Eggs are numbered 1-16.

[​IMG]

our second shipment was from *D* and had 8 eggs (auction was for 6+). all eggs were shipped well and arrived unharmed. They are darker than the first shipment. Eggs are numbered 17-24.

[​IMG]

our third shipment was from *J* and had 7 eggs (auction was for 6+). All eggs arrived safely and unharmed. These eggs are the darkest of all, it's difficult to see in this pic but you can tell in the others which ones they are. Eggs are numbered 25-31.

[​IMG]

So, 31 eggs total ranging in color from what my own brown layers lay to a beautiful chocolate brown. I let them sit a little over 24 hours to settle, made sure the bator was at 99.5, humidity 40% and set them in. Seller R's eggs are at the top of this pic, D is in the middle and J is at the bottom, see how much darker?

[​IMG]

I was going to put them in the evening of 9/4 but ended up waiting until the morning of 9/5 so the date does say 9/4 on them, oops. Sunday morning while turning, i accidentally hit one against another (D'OH!!!) and cracked egg #26. [​IMG] [​IMG] I could just kick myself for it too! [​IMG]
    I didn't want to just pitch it so I put some wax on the crack (after reading how others did it) and put it back. i don't have high hopes for that one but figured it's worth a shot. [​IMG] keeping an eye (and nose) on it and will remove it as soon as i suspect any 'foul' play. lol If you look at the egg to the left of the thermomter in the next pic you can kinda see the purple wax on the left side of that egg.

I have two bator's but the favorite of the two was in the process of hatching out quail eggs so I initially put them in bator#2 until 9/7. After all quail hatched I gave it a very thorough cleaning and got it back up to temp/humidity. They have been here since Monday evening and all is well so far.

[​IMG]

I plan on candling on day 7(this friday!!!!), 10, 14 and possibly before lockdown. I have a chart with egg #, seller and a column for results of each candling. I want to keep track of which seller had the better hatch rate and stock. I love charts and statistics, this just feeds into that obsession.

I do need to figure out a way to divide off the bator so I can keep them separate, i had read something about making an X with wood, need to look for that post again. Last time (with my own eggs) I tried dividing the brown from the EE's with a cardboard cut out, guess it wasn't tall enough b/c they jumped over it. [​IMG] Anyone have any ideas? the obvious thought of just splitting the two smaller orders into bator #2 is not an option as I have duck eggs (addicted much??) set to arrive tomorrow so they will be growing away while i am in chicken lockdown 9/22-9/25. I guess i still have time to find another bator! maybe i could try to make one but i'm not really very handy, i'd hate to lose the hatch b/c of my inability to build one.

If only i could convince DH i NEED another bator!!! I've been dropping hints on the Brinsea Octagon 20 b/c i found it on sale and just love the design. [​IMG] <<sigh>> maybe next spring...

so, the fun is just beginning, anyone wanna join? anyone else have a hatch set to go around 9/25? I'd love some company.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
  3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. 6littlechickies

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Quote:KDbeads - I LOVE your site, i thought i was the only one that took notes that detailed! Not quite as embarrassed with my notes from last hatch now! LOL glad to see I'm not alone. oh and your 'frank-en-bator' looks SO cool! did you do that all yourself?! wow, don't think i'm brave or talented enough for that! wish I was. can't wait to see how your hatch turns out. sounds like you are off to a great start! my last hatch was with 'mutt' and EE eggs, your candling pics came out great.

5. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Thanks! I'm a bit picky about details, especially the little details though I've had to force myself NOT to check and record temp and humidity every hour. And with the AC still not going, cross fingers the fan motor is being changed as we speak, and it actually RAINING for the first time in weeks the humidity has me a tiny bit worried, it hit 65% this afternoon. Though we used to hatch all the time in NW Florida without ever checking the humidity and it was always high there. This is my first hatch in 20 years!
    Frank-en-Bator was all me, though hubby had a fit when he saw that I had wired the dimmer up without hunting down a manual, [​IMG] Then again when I wired up the fan. [​IMG] I'm cheap, I think total was less than $15 actual cash spent.

6. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Best of luck! Mine are hatching now, 3 so far, 28 to go.

7. 6littlechickies

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    I see movement!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I couldn't resist. I was going to wait until tonight but i just HAD to check a couple after I worked SO hard to get the projector all setup for tonight. LOL

I only checked 4 or 5 total but saw clear movement in all of them! YAY! Now I will wait until tonight when scientist DH can assist in my obsessive note taking. [​IMG]

Also DH is trying to fashion me a divider for the hatch. We saw a cage like structure on ebay that i know we could build but he was thinking of maybe a swiss cheese style Styrofoam barrier notched out for the heating element. we'll be discussing and testing. Any ideas on that are welcome!

8. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I just picked up an expandable locker shelf at the thrift store for 25 cents. I'll be using that to divide up the incubator so I know who came from which batch of eggs.

9. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I have 19 silkies that I set on 9/5 but not 5 pm so I figure they probably aren't due until 9/26. If I remember right, I have 6 that are for sure growing and 3 more that might be. I need to make a better candeler tonight so I can hopefully get a better look and some pics. [​IMG]

Good luck!

10. 6littlechickies

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    I fell asleep early last night and didn't candle, just WAY too tired. so, we'll be doing that later today.

My DH is just the best. [​IMG] he knew i was wanting a new incubator and decided to surprise my by buying the one i've been watching on ebay. It's just an LG still air but we got it for only $40, incl shipping! I'm excited. now i need to figure out where i'm gonna put it!

Hmm, why do i get the feeling my dining room table is going to become the new home for the bator's? [​IMG] with the third bator, i'm running out of counter space in the kitchen! LOL. I'll have to think about it, our downstairs is very open, like a big circle from one room to the next (kids like to run laps in the winter, lol). Guess we'll be figuring that out tonight.

Once the new one comes in and I'm sure it's working perfectly I think i'll move the larger order from *R* (16 eggs) into one bator when it comes to hatch time. That way we only need to figure out how to divide it in 1/2 for the other two shipments.

Right now i'm struggling with bator #2 which is awaiting duck eggs I received yesterday. I've had it on for the last few days but it just does not seem to want to stabilize. I checked this AM and it had went from 90 to 104 overnight?!!?[​IMG] I think it's having trouble b/c it's near a sliding door. I've had it there before but the weather wasn't changing like it is now and the door wasn't being opened all the time. Going to move it soon and see if that helps. I can't put anything in there with it acting like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by