Hatching Shipped Eggs Advice

JewelBirds

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 13, 2017
Hello, my shipped eggs just arrived this morning. I have a question about letting them settle. Now I now I've read to let them sit for 12-24+ hours. But any ideas at what temp to keep them at? I have a mini fridge that gets 50-60 F. We use wood heat, so it gets upwards of 80+ F at certain times during the day, so I'm not sure I should leave them out. Any thoughts?
Also, I only candled 2/12 so far, and I believe both had jiggly air cells, but they don't seem to be going where they shouldn't. I also plan to put my own eggs in at the same time the shipped ones are. But I also read not to turn them for so many days? Would my non-shipped eggs still be okay? Or would I have to manually turn them?

Hello, my shipped eggs just arrived this morning. I have a question about letting them settle. Now I now I've read to let them sit for 12-24+ hours. But any ideas at what temp to keep them at? I have a mini fridge that gets 50-60 F. We use wood heat, so it gets upwards of 80+ F at certain times during the day, so I'm not sure I should leave them out. Any thoughts?
Also, I only candled 2/12 so far, and I believe both had jiggly air cells, but they don't seem to be going where they shouldn't. I also plan to put my own eggs in at the same time the shipped ones are. But I also read not to turn them for so many days? Would my non-shipped eggs still be okay? Or would I have to manually turn them?
Really you just want to let them sit 12-24 hours point end down at room temp, but a fridge would be a bit too cold I think.
I'm not an expert and never had this issue when I had shipped eggs. Do you have a cooler area of the house? Just at normal room temp?
Hopefully someone else can advise

Put the eggs the farthest from your wood heat.
Put them all pointy end down in a carton. I get eggs around noon and put them in the incubator around 8 pm.
All the eggs can go in the turner. If you want, you can put the 2 watery air cell eggs in an upright carton, but you don't have to. It may give you a better chance at hatching those eggs.

Really you just want to let them sit 12-24 hours point end down at room temp, but a fridge would be a bit too cold I think.
I'm not an expert and never had this issue when I had shipped eggs. Do you have a cooler area of the house? Just at normal room temp?
Hopefully someone else can advise
Alright, thank you. Well I do have a closet, which ranges from 60-70 degrees, so that should work..

Put the eggs the farthest from your wood heat.
Put them all pointy end down in a carton. I get eggs around noon and put them in the incubator around 8 pm.
All the eggs can go in the turner. If you want, you can put the 2 watery air cell eggs in an upright carton, but you don't have to. It may give you a better chance at hatching those eggs.
Thank you, sounds good. My closet would probably work. Hopefully with some settle time they'll improve, but I'll see about putting them upright if they seem to be too unstable.

You should wait to put in incubator until tomorrow. Allow the day to settle with fat end up in carton.

Once in the incubator eggs should be turned 2-3 times a day at a minimum. If you've an auto turner then all set, use it.

You should wait to put in incubator until tomorrow. Allow the day to settle with fat end up in carton.

Once in the incubator eggs should be turned 2-3 times a day at a minimum. If you've an auto turner then all set, use it.
Alright, thank you. I'll probably put them in tomorrow morning

The eggs have been put in the incubator. The air cells are definitely a little roughed up from shipping, but only one I candled (I think) is completely detached. They are moving a little bit and some of them are somewhat oddly shaped (I wouldn't say completely saddle-shaped, but not quite circular either) but they're staying in the end that they're supposed to. The Welsummer eggs are much harder to see the air cells in. The one I could tell was detached, but some of them I couldn't tell so I put them in upright just in case.
IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

The eggs have been put in the incubator. The air cells are definitely a little roughed up from shipping, but only one I candled (I think) is completely detached. They are moving a little bit and some of them are somewhat oddly shaped (I wouldn't say completely saddle-shaped, but not quite circular either) but they're staying in the end that they're supposed to. The Welsummer eggs are much harder to see the air cells in. The one I could tell was detached, but some of them I couldn't tell so I put them in upright just in case.
View attachment 3013432
View attachment 3013435
The egg turner might knock over the ones in the cartons. I usually remove the egg turner for the first 4 days on shipped eggs & let them sit upright in incubator & it’s worked well for me but since you have both shipped eggs & your own just watch to make sure the turner doesn’t knock those over.

The egg turner might knock over the ones in the cartons. I usually remove the egg turner for the first 4 days on shipped eggs & let them sit upright in incubator & it’s worked well for me but since you have both shipped eggs & your own just watch to make sure the turner doesn’t knock those over.
Thank you, yes I noticed they weren't too stable, but I did a test turn with them in there and they held up good. I might try finding something a little more stable. But hopefully they'll be good for now

Thank you, yes I noticed they weren't too stable, but I did a test turn with them in there and they held up good. I might try finding something a little more stable. But hopefully they'll be good for now
If it were me I’d remove turner & manually turn the non shipped eggs for first 4 days then put turner in. It’s important not to move the shipped eggs for at least 4 days so air cells stabilize. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom