Hatching shipped eggs question

Krysea79

Songster
Jun 25, 2020
This is a long question. Please forgive me! Our first time hatching and I of course picked the hardest thing...shipped eggs.
Sooo we purchased some hatching eggs and of course USPS lost the eggs and they arrived after 5 days packed beautifully but when I candles we had a lot of detached air cells. My incubator only fits 9 eggs but I have a (first time broody) hen that has already been sitting (on nothing) for 3 weeks so I figured what the heck and gave her those extra 3 eggs. I let the others sit 24 hours and put them in the incubator without turning.

Fast forward a few hours and my incubator jumped from 99 degrees to 102 according to the extra thermometer I put in. I buy two more thermometers off Amazon to double check temps and that night the temp again spikes from 99 to 104 confirmed by all 3 thermometers. So I removed all the eggs and gave them to my poor broody hen that has already been sitting for almost a month now.

I candles the eggs today quickly at 14 days and it looks like I have three moving embryos. I tossed 6 eggs that were either non viable or noticeably dead and left the other 6 with her.

My main question is a) do you think this hen might sit on them another week? She still appears pretty dedicated. B) is it healthy for her to do so?? I have been removing her at night and making her drink and then she will eat and poop and go back. She has been broody now for at least a month and a half. I also bring her breakfast in bed in the morning 😊 c). If she gets off of them would you attempt to put them back in the incubator?

The incubator is a magicfly? Or something like that. It is our first time using it.

Thanks for any help!

Will a full bottle of water fit in your incubator? Putting something like that in the incubator could help stablize your temperatures too.
I'm sure your hen will be fine for another week but you're pushing it. She may lose interest, so keep the incubator ready to go if need be.

Back
Top Bottom