1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Shipped Eggs ?s

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by atm21, Sep 1, 2016.

1. atm21

atm21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2016
    I recently received hatching eggs from mypetchicken. They are about 10 days along not sure how they are doing was curious if others have had eggs from them and been successful? I have them vertical in cut egg cartons but most don't look like anything has happened. Some have nerves but way up top by the air cell is that ok?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The veining does cover all the way up to the air cell. If you need help making sense of what you are seeing and to know what you should see, check out this thread for candling pics day by day: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

3. Fluffyserama

Fluffyserama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    olympia, WA
    What do the air cells look like?
    If they are large or sadle shaped you will probably need to heavely assist when they hatch. I lost 3 chicks last week from shipped eggs. they had internally piped but because of position and size of the air cell their beaks couldnt make contact with the shell to pip externally. I waited to long to see if they would poke out on their own and they passed. I assisted the last chick from pip to zip and have a healthy happy baby. I just wish i had steped in earlier with the others:/

4. atm21

atm21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2016
    Thanks! That was helpful it appears those eggs have been horizontal. Mine are vertical which I read works too so they appear a little different. I'm on day 9-10 I'm not seeing very much veining in them anymore. I do however see black specs that I think are moving (or are they just dead embryos floating around?) the air cells aren't the best quality some are loose or saddle shaped. I'm just hoping some will have something.

5. atm21

atm21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2016
    How should I assist them? How long do you wait before intervening? And when you say internal pip that's breaking into the air cell but not the shell right? So I would have to candle them periodically?

6. atm21

atm21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This is how one looks

7. atm21

atm21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This is a second one. They are both at the same stages and days but appear quite different. I can see stuff moving in both. Hopefully live chicks and not floating dead embryos.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    This one looks great.

This one looks like a quitter. If when you move the egg side to side, the growth moves with it, and just floats instead of moving on it's own, it's pretty sure a quitter. As long as it doesn't stink or leak you can leave them in a few more days to be 100%

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yes, internal pip is when they get their beaks up into the air cell and yes, you'd have to candle or if you hear peeping, that's usually a sign they are up there too. Deciding to assist a chick that hasn't externally pipped is a hard decision. I personally wouldn't consider it until it's at least been 24 hours since the internal pip. Usually within 24 hours they externally pip, much longer than that and you do start to risk the chance they may not make it to the next step.

Many people are hands off and will insist they shouldn't be helped. I am very hands on and I assist, but assisting should never be rushed and it can do more damage than help if it's not done right and at the right time. If you decide you need to assist, (the air cells in the two pics you showed look good, not saddled) for any reason and want guidance you can join us on the hands on thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help/7120#post_17484900 any time. Usually you can get a reply in a fairly timely matter, if it's not middle of the night.

10. atm21

atm21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2016
    Ok
    Ok awesome thanks! Yeah the second one is questionable whether it was moving from me or the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by