Hatching Shipped Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by atm21, Sep 11, 2016.

1. atm21

atm21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2016
    I'm on day 18 of incubating. So lockdown has started. Do I leave the eggs vertical inside the cut up cartons or do I take them out and lay them down horizontally?

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I think most people lay them down horizontally... I've read that if you place the eggs where they can touch each other it helps speed up the hatch and keep the timing close together. [​IMG] I guess they can hear each other peeping and they're encouraged by it....simply amazing.

Good Luck! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    For shipped eggs, many people just hatch out in cut down cartons. A lot depends on the air cells. If the air cells are firm and normal, laying them down is perfectly fine. If you had detatched air cells, wobbly air cells or a lot of saddle shaped, then I would hatch out upright in the cut down cartons.

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If you play chick music- videos of chick's cheeping periodically during pipping and repeatedly during zipping, it also helps to keep them motivated. I use a video from youtube. [​IMG]

5. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    That is sooo amazing! Now I just can't wait! - I'll have to try it [​IMG] I'm going to check out youtube .... Isn't that the greatest thing ever? what did we do before youtube?! - Helped me build my bator [​IMG]
    Ok, good to know.... I did have some crazy stuff going on in some eggs. Maybe I can just leave those particular ones in the cut down carton... Is it because the carton keeps the air cell up where the chick pips?

If that's true, then there may be hope for a couple of detached eggs? [​IMG][​IMG]

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Detatched air cells rarely hatch well, no matter what you do. Yes, you can lay down any that are looking good and hatch the others upright. For air cells that never firmed up, it does keep them upright and with saddle shape you never know where they are going to pip as with normal air cells the chick generally pips in the vicinity of the dip in the air cell, sometimes they end up higher, but if you mark the air cells at day 18 you can place the side with the lowest point up and usually, unless you have a malpositioned pipper you always know when they pip and they won't generally be pipping on the underside. With the saddled, if they are up, no matter where they pip you have a better chance of seeing it and if you are a hatcher that is willing to assist, you have a better idea of if they've pipped in the air cell or not and that can help with determining if you are going to need to assist or not. If you are anti-assist then it really doesn't matter because what's going to happen is going to happen regardless of how they are.

Yes, I love youtube for many things. Especially my chicks chirping...lol I remove my chicks as the hatch and become active in the incubator, and even though the brooder is a mere few feet from the bator, and the chicks in the eggs can still hear their sibs peeping, it's not as motivational as if they were still in the bator, so I use the videos as a replacement. It's especially helpful during zipping. My average zip time for my chicks is about 15 minutes. If they start stalling out, as soon as you hit that play button and they hear those chicks, they speed right back up...lol

7. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Oh, I'm definitely "assisting," if needed! [​IMG] And, if my current behavior is any indication, LOL, I'll be right there when they need me! [​IMG]

This is all great info, I'll need to be sure and take my time when I candle and mark each one as accurately as possible.... I really want these babies!

That is hilarious! I can't wait to see this [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    It's hatch day for my mail order eggs. They are under my broody. I started out with 10 but one wasn't fertile. Today so far I have 3 babies and 5 pipped eggs. I'm hoping the last egg pips today. I did have some saddle air cells but I'm hopeful ♡
    [​IMG]

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's great. Congrats!

10. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    My last egg has pipped ♡

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by