Hatching shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by holachicka, May 18, 2010.

1. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    So my quail eggs are finally on their way!!! [​IMG] I was just wondering if you have to do anything special with shipped eggs before sticking them in the incubator? I think I saw somewhere on here that some people let them rest for a couple of hours before popping them in... [​IMG] Anyone know?

Thanks

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Let them rest in a carton with the pointy end down for about 6-12 hours before popping them in the bator. This allows the air cell to settle to the large end where it should be. That's the theory anyways. [​IMG]

3. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Boy chicka, I thought I was bad . . . [​IMG]

4. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm sick I tell you... SICK!! [​IMG] C'mon, I know you want some too! ... I may have extras by the way if you have a bator on standby...

5. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    I popped mine right in within a couple hours after arrival, and the delay was only because I wasn't home when they arrived. I had the bator up and running already. Put them in and hatched 70 out of 100. That was my first and only hatch though, so hard to know if that would be typical.

UGCM

6. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    I did the same Chickenman did , just waited like 2 hours before I pop them in I hatched 15 out of 22 eggs, and the ones that didnt hatched were fully developed but failed to pip out of the egg, so Im not really sure if you really have to wait 6 to 12 hours before you put them in, but you should I mean its only 12 hours.

7. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    I always have room in the incubator [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by