Hatching "Show Quality" eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Monkey Mama, Nov 13, 2008.

1. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    Hey, I recently purchased some Old English Game Bantam hatching eggs [for Christmas presents for my kids actually LOL!].

I didn't read the auction well, and it turns out these are "show quality" eggs and the seller said I would need to do things differently and take "extra care" to hatch show quality eggs...

Which I'm totally willing to do, but I have no clue what this means. [​IMG]

Do any of you know what special care I should take in trying to hatch Old English Game Bantam eggs that are show quality?

My set up is this: I have a hovabator still air incubator and I turn the eggs by hand 3 times or more every day. This works pretty well for me with "regular" eggs and I usually get pretty good hatches.

What do I need to know to hatch these special show quality eggs?

I am praying for at least 2 of the 12 to hatch and survive... more would be great, but I have two kids who would be kinda sad if none hatch. [They already have a pet chicken each that they take brilliant care of, but they both wanted some OEGs. We have one OEG hen right now and she has the most personality of any of our hens, she's our very favorite.]

I really appreciate any help any of you can give!

THANK YOU!

Kelly

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I didn't read the auction well, and it turns out these are "show quality" eggs and the seller said I would need to do things differently and take "extra care" to hatch show quality eggs...

Which I'm totally willing to do, but I have no clue what this means.

Gee, neither do I. You hatch every chicken egg exactly the same way. And you wont know a chick is show quality till it's grown. I think they are blowing smoke. I take that back; I know they are blowing smoke! Those eggs are no different than any other.​

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Kind of funny what people will tell to make a sale !! WOW !!! I would treat them like any other egg, I mean thats what they are "chicken eggs" not "magic eggs". Hope you have a great hatch !!

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    they probably mean take extra care as in "Dont drop them, Be very careful with them, etc" Pretty much what you should do with any eggs. other then that show qaulity eggs are never any different then non show quality eggs... However people should stop labeling them show qaulity eggs [​IMG] they should be "Eggs from Show lines"

-Daniel

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
  6. The Monkey Mama

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    Thanks for the help you guys! I feel much less intimidated now. LOL!

We don't really care what they look like, we aren't planning to show them. We just liked the personality of the one OEG we have, so we wanted to get some others to keep her company.

"Show Quality" is really irrelevant to us and what we were looking for, but I totally understand the frustration with how that term is used. [​IMG]

Thanks again!

Kelly

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If someone says their eggs take extra care to hatch I'd assume their breeding program was not so great and the offspring were genetically weak. Certain breeds are harder to hatch for various reasons but there should be no difference in hatching eggs from show quality birds. If breeders were responsible it should be easier to hatch them since they'd only breed the hardiest birds but most get lost in color or body type and forget the technical bits like actually producing viable offspring so the breed can continue. It happens with all species of animals.

8. dancingchicken77

dancingchicken77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Australia
    kelly are they in the incubator now? if so, what day are you up to?

i'm a newbie to all of this, but if this helps: i am trying to hatch some "show quality" chicks right now, due to hatch any minute. i am returning them to the owner of the parents after hatching, and even then she said nothing to me about hatching them any differently at all.

9. The Monkey Mama

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    I just got them last night, so they go in the incubator this morning.

I am worried too about them being weaker - it sounds like that's the issue. [​IMG]

I just need two of them to live and be reasonably healthy, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Kelly

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    You could always email the seller for clarification [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by