1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching store bought eggs??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken farmer, Aug 11, 2014.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Well earlier I was doing a Youtube video on cage eggs v.s. free range eggs,I bought eggs from the store which I never do since I have my own chickens and I hate how caged hens are kept. Anyway as I did the video I cracked one open to show the pale yolk and it was almost exact as my eggs so I was shocked than I seen it was fertilized and I was really shocked. There I was thinking they were caged eggs and the yolk was darker and it was fertilized so I looked the farm up and there was pictures of them free ranging and talked about it so than I remembered a thread on here where someone else did this and was pretty excited and put 10 in the incubator a while ago. I'm hoping they didn't get too cold but we'll see in about 3 days. Anyway if you guys have done this I would love to see pictures and stories on this thread!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    All eggs will have a visible nucleus. In a fertile egg the nucleus goes through a couple of cellular changes creating the 'bulls eye' appearance. Are you sure that what you saw was a "bulls eye"? Hopefully they will hatch for you.

3. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    They look like my fertilized free range eggs and I looked it up and they are free ranged with roosters and all so I'm pretty sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by