1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching temperature

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beetandsteet, Jan 29, 2016.

1. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Is it true that you should set the incubator after lockdown to a lower temperature (98-99 degrees F)? I thought I had read that somewhere. Has anyone tried this, and does it improve hatching rates?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Some folks do, and some don't. I don't, and I still manage to have great hatch rates. Besides, my incubator is such a pain to get dialed in to the correct temp, it would be too much trouble to adjust it for me so I've never tried to see how it would work.

3. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    For whatever reason my bator drops on it's own about a degree every time I go into lockdown. I sometimes wonder if it has to do with my automatic turner not being in there (but that does not make sense because my bator is supposed to auto adjust the temp). My hatch rate last year (8 hatches all together) was between 87%-94%.

4. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    I think it's because of the raise in humidity. I have observed that whenever the humidity level raises, the temperature drops, and vice versa.

5. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Definitely agree with that. I just find it crazy that my incubator does this and it is supposed to self adjust. Either way my hatch rates are good so I'm ok with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by