Hatching to early HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jennyworley35, Sep 19, 2012.

1. jennyworley35

jennyworley35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    I have 1 egg that has been in lockdown 3 days should be hatching today but nothing put 2 in lockdown yesterday and already 1 of the little squirts has pipped should I worry about the first little egg and it has only been 20 days on egg # 2 but number 1 should be hatching and I have dates written on eggs so no mix up please is he ok I am new have only hatched 2 eggs before

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

20 days isn't early. Usually they will pip between day 19 and day 21. No worries there.

The other 1 - what day of the week did you set it? Sometimes day 21 is confusing. If you set the eggs on a Wednesday, they will (should) hatch on a Wednesday.

3. jennyworley35

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    I set it on Wednesday the 29th It should be hatching today they were in the same incubator until lockdown so it seems like it would have hatched early too I am just worried for nothing it'll will probably hatch tonight lol

4. aoxa

Good luck with your hatch. Try to be calm. Go out to a movie or distract yourself in some way if possible - it will make the time go by faster :fl

5. jennyworley35

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    The egg that I said was on day 20 was really day 19 me and my husband put them in yestrday morning one of those 2 finally hatched today sometime before I came home for lunch but the 1st egg is now on day 22 and still not one peep and the other egg that I put in lockdown with the one that just hatched nothing from it either but like I said it just went in yesterday morning. But I am really worried about the egg that has been in lockdown for 4 days how long should I wait I candled before putting in lockdown and all was well looked fully developed and had an air cell so how long before I pull it out?

6. aoxa

I'd candle on day 24 and if it is not internally pipped - it has died :(

7. jennyworley35

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    OK thanks aoxa I hope it hasn't died I hate loosing them.[​IMG]

8. aoxa

Bump that umidity up as high as you can without opening it. Does it not wiggle?

9. jennyworley35

Aug 14, 2012
    Elmore Alabama
    No it's not doing anything the other egg hatched this morning and it is now on day 23 If it hasn't hatched by the time I take out the other chick in the morning I am going to candle it but it hasn't done anything thank you though maybe it will suprise me[​IMG]
    [​IMG]This is my new little chick and the stubborn egg. If it does hatch I'm gonna name it Slow Pokey.LOL

10. aoxa

Here is a tip for candling without shrink wrapping. Get a mist bottle ready with nice warm water. Since there is only one egg, not a big deal. Open it up and spray. Put a blanket over the incubator and yourself (think tent) to keep humidity in. Candle fast enough to see if internally pipped. If not internally pipped, take a bit more time and see if you can see movement.

I'm sorry to say that I have never had one hatch after day 23 if it was not internally pipped :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by