Hatching turkey and chickens together

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Celtic Hill, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Can you hatch turkey and chicken eggs together? and if so would turkey eggs fit in my LG egg turner?

2. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    I am sure people do it. But when I did it (in my LG with a turner) the problem I faced is that the turkey eggs were much bigger than the chicken eggs. If you are measuring your temps at the top of the turkey eggs your chicken eggs aren't warm enough. If you are measuring at the top of the chicken eggs the turkey eggs are too warm. Consequently I think both suffered and my hatch showed it. If you do this - do be sure to start your chicken eggs 7 days after you put your turkey eggs in. Good Luck with your hatch!

Jenny

3. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I do it pretty often, but of course I set the chicken eggs about 6 days after my turkey eggs. I also keep the juvenile birds together in the brooders until the poults are just too big for their buddies [​IMG] I do use a Sportsman, so the temperature difference is not an issue.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I've hatched chickens and turkeys together without any problems so long as the turkey eggs will fit in the racks without falling out. Just set the chicken eggs seven days after you set the turkeys. Can't say about the LG incubators though.

5. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I always run them together in the incubator and brooder just set the chicken eggs 7 days later or this time my shipped eggs didn't come like I had planned so the turkeys will hatch a few days later it will not be bad thing the turkeys are always bigger and the chicks help them find the food and water I think the turkeys do better with chicks. Turkey eggs like a little more humidity I don't have any problems with that either I just run it higher @ 45% ( I do the "dry hatch" method normally run at 35% to 40%) and try to get it at 70% when it's time to hatch 65% is okay too any lower and I have problems with them being sticky. Have fun you will [​IMG] turkeys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by