Hatching Turkey eggs

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by MagsC, Jan 14, 2010.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am getting some turkey eggs as part of a package next week. In hatching them, what method has everyone had the most luck?
    They are going in an incubator separate from chicken and guinea eggs and I will be using a digital thermometer/hygrometer.
    I tried twice last year, absolutely nothing. But not giving up!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    Turkey eggs take 28 days to hatch.I would keep the temp. at 100 degrees F. Humidity at 45%-55%. Stop turning on day 25.Up the humidity to 55%-65% last 3 days.Good luck!

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    and put some fresh chicken eggs in with them at day 7 so they hatch at the same time, the chicks will help the turkey poults learn how to eat and drink and your survivial rate will go up. Sometimes they die of hunger and thirst, standing literally on top of the food I have heard. This has not been my experience, but some people have had it happen to them, so hatch out some little chicken tutors for your poults!

4. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I've never had the problem either...but don't want that chance of happening...but when I'm hatching...I'm hatching alot ..LOL oh...and guineas...thats a totally different story....but fun!!

5. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I've never had a problem with newly hatched poults dying either, but I do place brightly colored glass "stones" in the feeders and waterers. They peck at the bright colors and "discover" the food. I have 13 turkey eggs in the 'bator right now, but no fertile chicken eggs available, so the colored glass stones will have to do.

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thanks everyone. [​IMG] I was going to be setting some chicken eggs at the same time as the turkeys (different incubators though) so I guess I will have to get dozen or so eggs to put in a week later with them. Shouldnt be too tough to find.

7. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    I saw an episode of dirty jobs where they were at a turkey farm and the new poults had thier crumbles mixed with green dye (food color I assume) to attract them, seemed to work quite well.

8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thats a good idea.....

9. Belgian Lady

Belgian Lady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    White, Ga
    MagsC I put some marbles in the waterer too. They are very curious and will learn to drink that way too. Once they are drinking I remove the marbles.
    Roxanne

10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thank you Roxanne,I will definitely do that.[​IMG] If I get them hatched, these will be my first turkeys, well except for when I was little and my mom raised a group of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by