1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Turkeys... crash course...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mycookoonest, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    I've hatched Chicks but what do I need to know about Turkeys?

I know 28 days, but are they the same temp, humidity, and I still move them over 3 days before hatch day?

These eggs are coming from ebay so I'm not all too confident in them even hatching.

When do veins appear? I would assume later than chickens...

Will my normal egg turner work?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Good idea to have low expectations. Turkey eggs do not typically ship well at all..much worse than chicken eggs, regardless of the seller or where you get them.

28 days is right. Stop turning on day 25. Temp & humidity are the same as chicken eggs (I do not recommend using dry incubation for turkeys).

Veins appear similar to chicken eggs. Depending on the darkness and thickness of the shells, you can sometimes see them as early as 7 days. I usually don't candle ours until day 14 though to be sure what you are seeing.

What kind of bator/turner are you using? Hova? If so, I have found you have to place the eggs in every other cup. This will depend on the size of the eggs.

Jody

3. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I don't reccomend a turner if you are using still air. Turkey eggs are so long and pointy the egg is much cooler at the bottom than at the top where temps are measured. Its hard to get an even internal temperature, (which is what is important)

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Agree, it really is not recommended to use turners for turkey eggs. Don't know why, but some claim they hatch better if hand turned. It may have something to do with the temp..good point Cindy.

Jody

5. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I had a really tough hatch on turkeys and wish that I had known they were hard to hatch if shipped. 4/20 hatched and 2/4 survived. I have lowered my expectations now and may try it again. I was soooo upset with the bad hatch. Can't wait to be able to hatch my own eggs.

6. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    Good news!!! A fellow BYC member (Thanks Chris) met me and gave me 6 Mixed Turkey eggs... they are beautiful! I put them in my *Uh-hum* retired bator for the season, and I've been checking the temps to make sure I don't hard boil them...

My Hubby thinks I've gone bird crazy! He can't call me the crazy Chicken lady anymore if they hatch. [​IMG] He'll probably just call me crazy!

They fit in the turner, but I did space them out and have the temp up to 102 on thermometer on top of the eggs. I just get so nervous with the temp being that high and getting a spike.

7. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    How often do you turn them? If hand turning?

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Good luck!! I want turkey eggs so bad... LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by