1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching turkeys under a broody chicken hen

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Serina81, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Serina81

Serina81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Lucerne Valley, CA
    I have some turkey eggs in the incubator and one of my chicken hens just went broody. Can I take the eggs out of the incubator and put them under her? How many turkey eggs fit under a chicken hen?

2. Buffer

Buffer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    WI
    Quote:31,604 eggs if she is large chicken.
    If the chicken in question is a serama, maybe 2.

[​IMG]

3. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I wouldn't recommend it. I tried this with broodies a couple of times, and it never worked out. I did have a turkey hen once that would lay her eggs in the Jersey's nestbox, probably because it was big enough to fit in.

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I have the opposite issue...a turkey that just hatched chicks and another sitting on chicken eggs!

5. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I used to use broody bantam cochins and they worked great for hatching turkeys but it did not take long for the poults to get too large for them to brood. the bantams could handle 3 to 4 large turkey eggs with no problem. I would let them go broody on their own eggs then slip their eggs out in a swap for turkey eggs then I would put the bantam eggs in the incubator. Worked great.

6. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Depends on what size the chicken is....

Last year, my mallard hatched a turkey poult....

7. Serina81

Serina81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Lucerne Valley, CA
    I have a mottled java. She's a pretty big girl. Can I take eggs out of the incubator even though they've been in there a week?

8. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Yeah but be sure the eggs do not get jarred during the transfer because they should be developing blood vessels. I used to switch the eggs at night while using a small flashlight. The hen would stay a bit calmer and is a lot more reluctant to leave the nest when it is dark.

9. turkey guru

turkey guru Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    nope won't work, you might get 1 or 2 to hatch, but I would pass, been there done that! tom!!

10. HappyChickenMom

HappyChickenMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2009
    I have a broody hen (medium size)sitting on 6 turkey eggs now. I hope a few hatch out.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by