Hatching twin quails

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ardShell, Mar 3, 2015.

1. ardShell

ardShell New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    Ok We're quite new to rearing birds and this will be about our third hatch. After about a week in the incubator, we find that one of our quail eggs appears to be twins. From everything I've managed to find on the web, it seems that their survival rate is pretty poor.

The egg itself is very large (as quail eggs go) the mother is a Northern Bobwhite but the father could, possibly be, a California quail.

Since my grand-daughter ( this is primarily HER project) insists that we at least, attempt to hatch this egg, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to improve their chances.

I'm half tempted to cut an access hole in the narrow end as a substitute for the missing air sack in that area. I expect whatever we do it will be rather experimental.

2. ardShell

ardShell New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    Testing.
    Just checking this thing works.

3. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  4. ardShell

ardShell New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    Thanks, I did a search before but all the threads I found were unsuccessful. That first link you posted is fascinating. It also looks like my best plan of action is to leave well alone until they pip. The video was also most instructive on the method of helping them out of the shell. Unfortunately I've found that quail eggs, besides being much smaller, also have harder shells, making the assistance even more tricky. I'll keep this thread updated with any developments. (it'll probably be a while yet though)

5. ardShell

ardShell New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    Looks like we lost these ( along with most of the others in the bator at the time), We had a power cut during the night just after my last post. When we woke in the morning ( still no power ) the temperature in the incubator was down to 38 Farenheight ( that's cold! ).

Amazingly, a few days later, one chick (not from the double yolked egg) internally pipped. After 24 hours it still hand't pipped externally so I drilled a small hole for it's beak. Finally this morning, I helped it out and it's doing fine.

It looks like this is the sole survivor of the disaster though. :(out of nine eggs)

6. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I am so sorry to hear that you lost all your babies-to-be. Last year I had to move a tray of eggs under the wood stove to ride out a long power outage, I used the iron based hand warmers to ride out the first few hours trying to avoid that move.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by