Hatching under a broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NoSkiveez, Sep 20, 2010.

1. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    I have a broody hen that just won't give up. She is a silkie. I have a handful of silkie eggs I can put under her. She is still in the pen with 5 other hens and a roo. If I give her some eggs, when they hatch will the rooster kill them? Should I separate her now and give her eggs?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Can you put your broody in a dog crate big enough for her and food and water inside the coop? It is best to allow her to sit away from the other birds.

Are your other birds standard size? If you are worried about the chicks, probably the best thing to do after they hatch is make a run inside the regular run for the first few weeks, so everyone can get used to the chicks gradually and the chicks can get bigger before introductions.

3. NoSkiveez

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    I do have a crate I can put her in. I've never had a problem introducing younger smaller chicks with the silkie girls but I've had to take the roo out for beating up immature roo's. I wasn't sure if it was advisable to take her from her normal environment or not.

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    You want her separate during the incubation so she isn't disturbed by other hens kicking eggs around and laying more in the nest. If your coop is big enough, put the crate in there, so she isn't far away from all the other birds, that way they can hear the chicks in the eggs hatching. After they are a week old, and eating well, you could try letting mom and babies in with the rest.

If your rooster is a silkie he is unlikely to hurt babies. I find other jealous silkie hens can be a problem because they try and adopt the little ones away from mom, and sometimes babies can be caught between fighting hens. That's why I keep the babies a little apart for about the first week and then see how it goes from there.

I'm sure a lot depends on your birds personalities which you know best. Good Luck with your hatch.

5. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    If you have 15-20 spare minutes to watch this inspiring story of Liza the Silkie chicken's heroic mothering, these 2 links will brighten your day! Its from The Natural History of the Chicken, a documentary by Mark Lewis done in 2000. The first link is the Liza story by pastor Joseph Tauer, but it cuts off right at the end, so the second link can provide the end of the story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg4FXWsdDEI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXXUPK-OvtQ

6. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Oh I almost forgot! Here's a vid of our Silkie being a Very Happy Momma, sharing duties with our Rosecomb (they worked out this deal on their own. They're kind of best friends.)

here's the thread of her journey, it wasn't all that easy! But today she's a Very Happy Hen:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=388210

I wish you the best luck!

7. NoSkiveez

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    I have a closed top brooder in the silkie pen. I've put her in there with a handful of silkie eggs. This will be the first time I've let eggs hatch like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by