Hatching upright eggs as opposed to laying them on the side--Opinions?

Mrs. Glassman

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Cedartown, Georgia
I've seen pics of eggs during hatch both laying on the side & in the upright position in cartons.

I have heard that you lay eggs on the side so the chick can get into position for hatch.

I have also seen pics of cartons of eggs with almost all eggs hatched.

Has anyone had more sucess one way or the other?

Does anyone feel it helps the hatch rate or lower it?

For what reason do you position the hatching eggs the way you do?

I'm on my 4th hatch now, and am trying placing the eggs on rings during hatch. (much like the rings you use when drying dyed easter eggs). It seems to take up less space in the hatching portion of my bator.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome!

I think the chicks have an easier time of zipping when the eggs are layed on their sides, just from personal experience.

AL

I have had my best hatch with the eggs in cartons .. might have been just coincidence..

If I take them out of the bator and put them into a hatcher, then I lay them on their sides.. I don't think it really matters to the egg..

I have just finished 2 different hatches with the eggs upright in the carton. One was 100 bobwhites, and the other was 150 A&Ms. The chicks did very well and seemed to have no problems. With that number of eggs laying down, I have had problems with the eggs being jostled and crowding together. I think with at least quail eggs, I will continue leaving them upright in the holder.

Mrs. Glassman

I am glad you asked that question. I am going to stop turning in three days and am trying to figure out what to do. Before I have always layed them on their sides. I have two or three detached air cells, and was wondering what would be the best for them too. I will be interested in hearing people's response to your inquiry.

Tia

It seems that from the responses, so far, the hatch rate does not suffer.

I can see two pros to hatching upright thus far...less mess & less space.

I have one that states it may be easier on the chick to zip on the side. I can see how that would be true.

I have my eggs on a ring, and so far, one has popped right out, a few others have pipped.

The one that hatched, didn't seem to zip. It was more like pip & POP! It was out!

I've heard quail tend to just pop out, but I have not heard that of chickens.

More opinions??

quail and guineas seem to be poppers.. If you are watching and waiting for eggs to hatch, chickens are frustrating.. they take forever..

the quail and guineas must zip inside the shell without breaking through .. once they actually break through, they are ready to come out. that might explain why it seems they pop out..

I have noticed a great vigor in my guinea keets after they hatch as compared to eggs I hatched for someone else.. my eggs are set on or shortly after the same day they are laid.. the other eggs are collected and saved for a few days.. I think that is the reason..

I Would really like to hear more input on this. I tried researching but can't come up with anything. I would guess the best way would be the way nature and mother hens do things. Not what makes things easy and less messy for us. But I am new and I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom