Hatching upside down in the egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pnp4kidz, Jan 29, 2011.

1. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm pretty new, so can anyone help me with why a chick would fail to turn over in the egg for hatching? I had a breech today, little thing pipped and zipped pretty well but upside down it couldn't push the last bits of membrane thru to come out! I got him out and picked a teeny bit and out he fell butt first! Vigorous and happy to be out! Albeit a noisy one!!

Is this common and what do you do? Oh I was hatching in a carton so think that didn't help.

2. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    I take my eggs out of the carton and place them on a paper towel when I get to day 19. But some of my chicks have come from the wrong end.

3. chunky3060

chunky3060 New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Hi i have set some eggs in my incubator and by mistake i had put 1 egg in up-side down:([​IMG][​IMG] i am really stressing about it the egss have been incubating for 14 days now...
    will this up side down egg kill the chick or be bad for the chick???
    Please help me you can e mail me @ [email protected] please this is really worrying me

please help

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    The chick still has time to change position so simply put it the correct way up so it will help manourvre into position which starts to happen around day 18 [​IMG]

5. chunky3060

chunky3060 New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    Hi Pete55,

But if i turn the egg the right way arround now wont that kill the chick or drown it????
    will the baby survive if i turn it the right way arround????

it has been incubating for 15 Days today

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  6. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Simply lay it on its side with the broad end tilted up slightly, you wont hurt it and it may help the chick manouvre into its correct hatching position [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by