Hatching urgent quesiton!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carbon county chicks, Dec 9, 2010.

1. carbon county chicks

carbon county chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    So have our first pip on one of our eggs. but it's right by the bottom of the egg. Is this ok??!?! Isn't the piping supposed to be on the top? Will the chick die? Should I turn the egg?

2. chickensNpoodles

chickensNpoodles Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2010
    I have had several pip that way and they always make it out just fine. Don't open the bator. They are truly fine. Good luck with your hatch.

3. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Are you allowing them to hatch out on their sides, or supported by cut down egg cartons? If they are laying on their own, you shouldn't be too concerned...they just oriented that way and should be fine. If you have them in the cartons, though, you might just want to keep an eye to be certain that the carton doesn't prevent them from lifting away portions of the shell. The carton should give them "traction" to push against, but if the pips are too far down, the carton could negatively impact progress. Good luck![​IMG]

4. carbon county chicks

Mar 10, 2009
    [​IMG] Here's a pic of it.

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    OK, here's what you do. Very slowly ...

Step away from the incubator!

It will be fine. [​IMG]

6. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Oh! It should be fine, then! Looks like a nice strong pip to me! I was thinking that the "bottom" meant the pointy-end (highly technical term). Darn near all of mine have pipped just like that photo. They'll work their way around from there.

7. carbon county chicks

Mar 10, 2009
    hahaha! I'm away from the incubator. My first time, I'm so excited!

8. snick

snick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    I don't know if I would be able to step away.... [​IMG] Little buff orps? Good Luck!

9. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    My last hatch I had several that pipped at the bottom like that. They unzipped upwards and everything was fine. Believe me, it was very hard to step away and watch but I did and it was all ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by