Hatching Valley Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by AVining7, Aug 5, 2009.

1. AVining7

AVining7 In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    I ordered 100 valley quail eggs last month and not one hatched. Could someone please give me some ideals on why? Shipping? Just too hard to hatch? etc. I have no problems hatching my own bob whites and have had good luck with buttons that were shipped to me. Before I order any more to try again, I would like to get some opinions.

2. john in wa

john in wa Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    could it of been the heat. i just had my worst hatch with shipped eggs and i think it is the heat wave we are in. plus the way they are handled at the post office don't help. i have also herd that if the eggs are x rayed it will kill the embryo. just some thoughts but i would wait till a little later in the year or as soon as it cools down and try again.

3. AVining7

AVining7 In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    I thought of the heat, but I have my incubator in my shop with a/c set at 78 and again, I am getting anywhere from 90% to 98% hatch on my eggs, including my peafowl. Every one of these eggs were clear. They never even tried to start. I emailed the hatchery with questions but have not received a relpy from customer service (probably won't order from them again). I know there is no gurantee on eggs, but I was only asking for opinions on why there were none that even started to develope.

4. john in wa

john in wa Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    im talking about out side temps. we have had it get up to 112 here. are record high was 113. those kind of temps kill any and all eggs. i wont buy any more eggs till it cools off again maybe next month. but thats just me.

5. farrier!

farrier! Songster

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Not that it helps but I have had decent hatches out of shipped eggs in the heat.

I would keep calling the hatchery.

Bummer....

6. AVining7

AVining7 In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Thank you both for your replies. I have emailed the hatchery again but still have not heard anything from them. Maybe I will give it another try next year earlier in the year. I still believe it was an egg problem since every one of them were clear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: