hatching when not home?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Darkjeweler, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Darkjeweler

Darkjeweler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    how do you deal with eggs hatching when you are not home? my first hatch is due on the 19th and will probably start while i am at work. is this an issue?

2. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive has so far 20 hatch, and it seems that they take a little bit from start to end. Once i noticed that there was cracking starting within the next 24 hours that it would be out. I had 2 that came out when i was at school, but they didnt seem to have any issues, just diped their beak in water and put them in the cage.
    ~ ps. i am hatching runner ducks..:p

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  3. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

While I have never hatched my own and have no desire to I'll repeat my general philosophy about raising poultry. The birds have been doing this for many, many years without our help/interference, and will continue to do so. [​IMG]

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I agree. We hatch thousands and most days I work, so am seldom home to watch. I never mess with the chicks on hatch day anyway, just pull them out after at least 24 hours and put them in the brooder. Example; I placed 42 guinea eggs in the hatcher Thursday, two hatched last night, eight more today so far. I'll give them until around 6 tomorrow evening, then pull out all that hatch, wipe the hatcher down, refill the water pans and place the next batch of eggs in.

I think your chicks will be fine. [​IMG]

5. LillyBantam

LillyBantam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Alkham, Dover, Kent. UK
    are you hatching from a broody hen/duck? Or from an incubator?

6. Darkjeweler

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    These are going to be a mixed breed. I have Appleyard and Runner ducks which are housed together. Only the Runners are laying right now, but they are mating like crazy with the Appleyard and Runner drakes. Therefore, eggs may contain either pure Runners or a mix of both breeds.

7. Darkjeweler

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    Incubator. I am using a LG and I am about to make an Ice Cooler Incubator for the final day of the hatch. That way I can keep going with other eggs I have in the incubator.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It takes a couple of days for ducklings to hatch out. During that time, you are not to open the incubator. So, if you can't open the incubator, there really is very little reason for you to be there.

Watching ducklings hatch is slower than watching paint dry.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

10. Darkjeweler

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    Not if it is a Rustoleum oil paint. That stuff never seems to dry.

It only seems to take them 2 or 3 days to double in size.. Surprising it would take them a long time to hatch.

I will be having to open the 2nd incubator for a couple of seconds as I add additional eggs that are hatch ready. I have eggs that have to go into lock-down only 2 days apart.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by