hatching- when to take my chicks out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], Feb 2, 2012.

1. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    I know I am supposed to wait 4- 8 hrs before taking my chicks out, but only 1 / 6 hatched so fare and can see the others starting its moving around and I am afraid of it bumping the thermometers in to other eggs. I read opening the incubator to get the chick out reduces the number of birds that hatch, is this true? what should I do? it keeps peeping and some times sounds like its screaming....

2. melodym78

melodym78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    I wait until the chick is completely dry..I've left chicks in til the next day...especially if there is only one chick out..I have found they do better if there is a buddy in the brooder. Alot less noisey. Just my 2 cents worth..

3. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    thanks. another one is out now two (hatched a lot quicker than the first one) will they hurt the other ones by turning the eggs? i have one i put in 14 hrs later than than these ones and they turned it half way.

4. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    they will be fine. leave them there till there totally dry. might be tommarrow evening before there ready.

5. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    will it hurt the other unhatched / hatching eggs when i remove the chicks? (when their all dry)

6. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    probably, dont open the bator! wait till there done..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by