Hatching when?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MynikaFL, Feb 20, 2013.

1. MynikaFL

MynikaFL Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    North Central Florida
    We have some eggs in an incubator and the first hatch day was supposed to be on the 18th. Nothing yet[​IMG] How long should we wait? Just worried that maybe the incubator that we bought isn't doing it's job. How can you tell? We are new to hatching and growing very impatient. Help...

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Give them a couple more days. I have had mine take that long once before. Once it gets to day 24 and completely nothing I'd candle quickly. Have you candled them yet to see if they are chicks in the eggs?

3. DavKarm

DavKarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Check the humidity. We just lost a whole batch of chicks. None of them hatched. After Day 24, I finally broke open one of the eggs and the inner membrane was too tough for the chicks to peck out of. We realized the humidity just wasn't high enough. Broke our hearts - but we are trying a 2nd hatch.

4. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    lockdown it should be at least 65%

5. MynikaFL

Feb 20, 2013
    North Central Florida
    We will do that tonight for sure, I hope that they do hatch, I will be so disappointed if they do not hatch. [​IMG]

6. MynikaFL

Feb 20, 2013
    North Central Florida
    If these don't hatch I will be looking for some more eggs... trying to wait patiently.

7. MynikaFL

Feb 20, 2013
    North Central Florida
    We candled the eggs tonight it looks to be about 50/50 tomorrow (Thursday) will be the 24th day. If there is the slightest chance of them hatching I don't want to mess it up. Will keep you posted [​IMG] just not sure what the next step will be. When do you actually give up on them? This is really traumatic!

8. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Hopefully someone who knows where to find it can post the Float Test link for you. I would think that would be your next step to checking to see if any are still viable.

Best of luck, hun.

9. MynikaFL

Feb 20, 2013
    North Central Florida
    Thank you so much, I did find a link that talks about the float test, but I will look into it more today, and will attempt it tonight for sure. Fingers Crossed [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by