Hatching Wintertime Chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PeeperKeeper, Nov 6, 2011.

1. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I would like to hear from anyone in the Ohio River Valley Area that has hatched chicks in mid-winter.

Where did you get hatching eggs...or were they from your own stock?

How did you house them?

How was your experience and outcome?

Thanks for any advice. [​IMG]

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Hello, I'm from North Central Ohio, I hatch all winter. Gives me something more to do then watch tv all winter. I usually buy from the BYC auctions, but I watch weather closely, as if bad weather is anywhere in area where you order from or your own it could result in eggs getting lost or stuck somewhere or even frozen. I have an attached garage that is not used for cars but for work room and such and this is where they stay. If weather breaks for a few days I have chick coop with a heat lamp that I put them in. With shipped eggs it is always a gamble. With your own eggs you have a better chance. If my D'Uccle hen lays all winter her eggs will be pretty much set all winter.
    Michele

3. CochinCowgirl

CochinCowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    What makes chickens stop laying in the winter is the length of day light. They need around 14 hours of day light to lay regularly. I have a summer set up for my chickens down in the barn and a winter set up in my garage. I have breeder cages in my garage with plenty of bright lights hanging. This keeps my chickens laying all year. Lots of good feed and fresh water too of course. Make sure you don't leave your lights on all the time, chickens do need rest. If they dont get proper sleep they will become stressed & wont lay and can even possibly die.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't give them any extra lighting, chickens need to go through the change and be given a break from laying. I don't like to force the egg laying thing. I did have winter laying birds, that laid all winter. But I only have 2 older Spitzenhaubens going through molt and about 8 - 14 week old girls that won't lay until January. Its all good though, if she doesn't continue to lay, I will purchase some. Oh yeah by the way....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by