Hatching with a Little Giant Still Air

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by abbysilkys, Mar 9, 2017.

1. abbysilkys

abbysilkys Out Of The Brooder

I have a Little Giant Still Air Incubator and there are eleven silkies eggs inside it right now. Because of the cheaper incubator the temperature and the humidity will not stay constant. I finally thought I got the temperature constant yesterday, but then it dropped over night. How will this impact my eggs and their hatching rate? Will any hatch? Any tips help. I just want at least two to hatch and that would be a victory for my first incubation.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

I used the LG 9200 for 2 1/2 years very successfully. Mine did have the fan installed. I was happy to keep it above 99.5 and under 101.5. With still air you want 101-102 taken near the tops of the eggs. If you can keep it above 100 and under 102.5 you should be good. The steadier the better, but minor fluctuations can still yield good hatches. How much fluctuation are you seeing and what is your humidity are you running?

3. abbysilkys

It was running around 100.6 yesterday and over night it dropped into the low nineties and I keep the humidity around 30-50%

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I'd try to keep the humidity down around 30% end of that and check air cells. I use this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity
    Temps that low are really going to jeapardize the hatch.That big of fluctuations are going to really affect development. The styro bators really need to be in a room with a fairly steady temp or they will fluctuate greatly. Any drafts, temp changes sources of light can affect the bator temps.

5. abbysilkys

It's in a room with a steady temperature, it just won't stay constant. The lady I got my eggs from said to keep humidity around 50% but it's hard to get it so high because I live in a very dry place.

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    People have different success at different rates because there are so many variables that affect what humidity will work best for your eggs. While there are a few that have success with higher humidity, most people, using styros especially, find that over 45% keeps the eggs from loosing enough moisture and causing drowning at hatch time.

Fluctuations are common for styros, but if the room is consistant, no drafts, and it's swinging that much, there could be an issue with the elements in the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by