Hatching with eggs in a egg cartons

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rarebreedeggs4u, Oct 17, 2009.

1. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I've seen this mentioned a few times. Does it help keep the already hatched chicks from jostling the other eggs around so much? Any drawbacks?

2. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I tried this and it worked very well. If I do it again I would leave more room for the hatched chicks to move around between the cartons. I fit in as many cartons as I could. It made the spaces tight for babies to move around.

3. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Quote:Since I only set 16 eggs this time, a hatcher drawer is way too much room to get a little wild and roll your unhatched buddies all over~LOL I may have to try it [​IMG]

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I use them and I really like it. It makes for an easier clean up. I do cut out holes on the sides and bottom so theres more air around them.

5. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

I had to do this when my turner broke and I LOVE it. The eggs don't roll around and it is better than having them lay on their sides, at least in my hatches, I had more hatch out this way. The only problem is that I can't turn them when I'm away. I actually forgot to turn a couple of days and no problems, so I think it is definately better than laying them on the wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by