Hatching with no incubator

cobygol

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2017
I woke up this morning to sadly see that all my chickens got killed and I had a hen that has been sitting on some eggs for about a week now and there was one egg left I have it under a heat lamp right now can someone tell me what I need to do to hatch it? Should I put it in a bowl of water under the lamp? It’s currently in a basket with some shavings under the lamp. Please help

I'm so sorry - how awful for you! :hugsDo you know how far off the egg is from hatching? Have you candled it to see how it's looking? I've hatched Button quail under a heat lamp as their mother abandoned them when they were pipping, but they were pretty quick about it. You will need to keep the humidity high - could you put it in a sieve or similar over a bowl of water? It's the surface area that increases the humidity rather than volume of the container. You may need to mostly cover it with a damp cloth but measure the temperature by the egg to make sure it's not dropping the temperature too much. Hopefully some other clever people will have more ideas.

I'm so sorry - how awful for you! :hugsDo you know how far off the egg is from hatching? Have you candled it to see how it's looking? I've hatched Button quail under a heat lamp as their mother abandoned them when they were pipping, but they were pretty quick about it. You will need to keep the humidity high - could you put it in a sieve or similar over a bowl of water? It's the surface area that increases the humidity rather than volume of the container. You may need to mostly cover it with a damp cloth but measure the temperature by the egg to make sure it's not dropping the temperature too much. Hopefully some other clever people will have more ideas.
I candled it and I could tell there was something in it. I had to go somewhere so I put it in a small bowl of water just to be safe. When I get home I think I will put it in the basket with a damp cloth over it thanks

Back
Top Bottom