hatching with out a hen or incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenteen, Dec 9, 2009.

1. chickenteen

chickenteen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    richlands N.C.
    Hello i would like to know if i can hatch eggs with out a hen or incubator? I am thinking a box with a blanket on the bottom made into a nest put it into a room with high humibty and put a heat lamp over it. What fo you guys think?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Honestly, I think it's a waste of time and eggs.

3. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I had an egg that I got from under a hen, it had gotten cracked or something. I cooked the poor baby, I couldn't regulate the temperature.

4. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    It's been done. Just know that the humidity will be lower under the light. You'll want to contain the heat at the top of the box as well.

5. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Hello,

You can pratically do it any way that you like. As long as the egg is not wet and the Humidity is at least 60% with a 102F or so...then you will be on your way to hatching something : )

Good luck!

- Tommy

6. chickenteen

chickenteen Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    richlands N.C.
    thank you all

7. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Quote:Chickenteen,

Soo...what have you decided to do? May I suggest you an incubator? You can get a very inexpensive one line, one of those 3-4 egg incubators. Its fun! I hope you give hatching eggs a try : )

- Tommy

8. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    You can build an incubator for under $20. Just do a search on 'build an incubator' and you'll find one made with a light bulb, water heater thermostat switch, and a styrofoam cooler. It's pretty simple!

9. peachlover

peachlover Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    You are talking about one of those walk-in incubators. Control the important factors/variables and nothing can stop you. Sounds like work but should be a great experiment. Have fun.

10. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Quote:Agreed! keeping a constant temperature (____F) and proper humidity is all any of us are doing. you'll need to "turn the eggs." a guy at autozone said he hatched them years ago using an electric blanket. unless i hear differently, i'm using a bulb thermometer like the ones we use to check our own temperature.

Great Luck to you! pictures help if you have a camera/uploading device.

rosco

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by