Hatching Woes

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by championny, Apr 19, 2008.

1. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Ah, so I have Delaware eggs on day 18. I went to candle and out of 14, 2 have gone bad (open them to find coagulated yoke), 10 I am not really sure about (its a BIG gray area with them) and 2 I am proud to say are moving about their shells. One of them was even jiggling a bit on the incubator floor until I placed him in the egg carton. [​IMG] To my surprise, it was the one with a small crack that kstaven suggested melting a little bit of wax and sure enough he's a kicker.

My goose eggs are a mystery. Two of them look like something is developing and one I really cant say for sure. The Welsummers on day 7 seem a mystery and I can't truly tell if there is anything or not. Perhaps I am just tired and anxious all rolled into one. [​IMG]

Now, I am trying my best to stabilize the temp as it keeps moving from 99-101. The humidity is about 60-62%. I think I am going to buy chicks instead. I'll let the hatchery deal with the woe. Although, I say that now until the bug bites me again!

I only hope they aren't both boys. All that work for that would be upsetting.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Best of luck! Don't give up on hatching your own though!

3. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    So day 20 is almost over. No pips, zips or chirps. Just moving eggs. One of them was moving around so quickly last night I thought for sure he'd be out and about already. Today, he is just slowly moving like some of the others. I believe I saw about 5 move so far, which if I can at least get 5 I would be happy with this hatch.

I am just concerned that they are having trouble. My humidity is 66% and holding, my temp is around 101.3. 66% seems the best I can get when you figure I have the reservoirs filled, a cup of water in there and a few wet paper towels. If I had a pip, I'd feel 10x better. [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your temps could have been off...it's only day 20, some pip late evening of 20 others wait til day 21 or longer......step away from the bator!!... lol

5. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I know I need to just walk away and pray for pips. I just want to be there to see them come out. But at this stage, walking to a bator full of fluffy chicks is alright with me too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by