Hatching Words

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Leah and peeps, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Hello eveyone,

I am not very familiar about all the words that i have heard while browsing the hatching and incubating area here.
    What are some of the terms and what do they mean? Such as pipp, lockdown, etc.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Pip is when they peck a small hole in the egg so they can breathe. They will usually peck a small hole then rest a long time, maybe 12 hours, before they go to the next step. Pipping is the first visible sign of hatching.

Zip is when they finally finish resting after pipping and they cut a line all the way around the egg. Sometimes they cut all the way around in one continuous action and sometimes they go part way and rest a while. Hatching is hard work and requires a lot of resting. It also requires patience on our part. After they zip, they push the egg shell apart and come out.

Lockdown is when you transition from incubation to hatching. Usually three days before hatching, you stop turning the eggs, take the turner out if you have one, raise the humidity, and do not open the incubator until the hatch is over. If you open the incubator while they are hatching, you take the risk of releasing humidity which can have the effect of shrink-wrapping the chick. That is where the membrane in the egg dries out, shrinks, and tightly wraps around the chick. It does not happen every time but I have done it before. So lockdown is when you figuratively lock the incubator closed so you don't take the chance of shrink-wrapping the chicks.

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Lockdown is a term for when your eggs have reached completed days of incubation you stop turning, raise the humidity, and leave alone till they hatch.

Pip.. there are two pip that happed. First is the internal pip. This is where the chick breaks through the air sac inside of the egg to take its' first breath, and supplys air to the chick until....
    External pip... This is when the chick breaks through the wall of the egg and breaths outside air.

Other hatching terms are Zipping... This is where the chick will turn inside of the egg and break through the shell around the air sac. This generally happens 24 hours after the external pip. Once the chick has zipped the egg, it will shortly emerge.

Another is rocking and rolling... This is when the chick is inside of the egg moving to get into hatching position. It will make the eggs Rock inside of the bator.

4. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Here are a couple pictures to help :
    Pip
    [​IMG]
    If you look on the right side of the egg in the center you will see a small chip in the egg. This is where the chick has made it's first hole in the shell from the inside.

Zip:
    [​IMG]
    Actually this picture is just after the chick has emerged but you can see how the chick has chipped away at the inside of the shell all the way around so it can "pop" out of the egg.

Hope this helps!

6. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks a bunch! [​IMG] How do you like your bator dsqard? Is it a Brinsea, one of the Octagon ones?

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Another pip pic... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another zip pic... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011