Hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aworldintime, Sep 16, 2016.

1. aworldintime

aworldintime Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    B.C
    Ok first time hatching here. 3 came out great. The 4th needed help but only towards the end. And I only needed to move a bit of shell. It really worked for it lol. The beak took a bit of a beating. But the cord is still attached to it and it has poop stuck to its bum. What can I do or should I do anything?

Secondly I have 2 more eggs. One should of pipped by now and didnt. It is alive but I fear not for long. The air sac looks good but no internal pip yet. The second one developed late and looks to not be at that stage yet. Will they live?
    Thanks so much!

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Hello [​IMG]

This is just me, others may do something different, I've never had to do it for a chick (but I've delivered a few lambs!) - if you have some cornstarch in the kitchen, or maybe even just some plain flour, dab it on the cord to help dry it up.... and for the poopy bum, I'd use a q-tip and put some olive oil or vegetable oil of some kind and dab it on there to loosen it up.

3. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Your second issue: What day are the chicks? What makes you think it won't make it out? What was your temp & humidity like during incubation?

If this chick is a "late bloomer," maybe you don't need to be worried, just give it more time....if it hasn't pipped internally yet, it doesn't sound ready to come out....

Congratulations on your new chicks! [​IMG]

4. aworldintime

Feb 25, 2016
    B.C
    I am worried about opening up the bator as they are damp. Especially this one. It looks the cord may of broke now. But I cant tell for sure. And the bum I need to see agin lol. But q tip great idea! Thabk u.
    Temps are great all the way up to hatch and still good. I was going to ride it out and see what happens. Just wondering what the living rate will be.

5. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I think you'll be fine .... I wouldn't open it up until the one dries off....

6. aworldintime

Feb 25, 2016
    B.C
    Ya I am going to. It does seem to of let go so now it is just the poo lol. Watching them hatch was awesome! We are so excited lol. And thank u again!

7. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Glad to help! I can't wait for mine to hatch in a couple weeks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by