1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kittle74, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

So it started to zip and then stopped? In that case it needs help to finish. Whenever they stop during a zip it means they're stuck. You can finish the zip for it.

Can you also tell me what date you set your eggs, and what your temperature has been? And whether your incubator is still air or forced air?

2. Kittle74

Kittle74 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2016
    april 1st temp has been set at 99.5 and it has a fan underneath

3. Kittle74

Oct 6, 2016
    how do I help it

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture? Is it just stuck in the middle of the zip?

Have you calibrated the thermometer to be sure it's reading accurately? Late hatches are caused by low temperatures. Also, how has your humidity been?

5. Kittle74

Oct 6, 2016
    yes temp read perfect and humidity is perfect as well.it zipped this morning after it piped and was chirping very loud but then it just stopped 6 hours ago

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

So if it's stuck in the middle of a zip, you can just finish the zip for it and get it out of the shell.

What humidity did you use? I ask because you say that you have no others hatching yet, and if you've calibrated your temps and know those are perfect, then there's a chance that the others are DIS. And the most common cause of chicks being DIS late in incubation is too high or too low humidity.

7. Kittle74

Oct 6, 2016
    ok I helped but it was dead :( but the other 3 are piping now so now I know to help them out when they zip and get get out.thanks for the help. I hope the rest make if not I have a Hen on 10 eggs as well.

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Sorry you lost that one :hugs Good luck with the rest!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by