Hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snick, Dec 30, 2010.

1. snick

snick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Okay so i had a chick hatch last night at 11pm...second chick just hatched and the first one is picking on it...I know I am not suppose to open the bator but do I need to get the aggressive one out of there before it causes harm to the newly hatched...BTW this is my first hatch....HELP!

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    do you have your brooder ready? its OK to take him out just do it quick, but he will prolly peep to high heaven till you get another chick in with him

3. snick

Dec 5, 2010
    yes brooder is ready my concern also is I have 4 more eggs in there with pips... arggggh wondering why i did this...but now I want more eggs...LOL

4. Hi! Congratulations on your first hatch! Way to go!
    Can you cover the viewing windows and put the chicks in the dark? I've found they settle down in the dark.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

5. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I don't open the bator! I learned the hard way! Go get coffee go shopping just walk away! It is fun watching them hatch but keeping your hands out is the hard part. Next time set the eggs after bed time. It is very cool waking up to the sound of newly hatched chicks. My babies tend to peck on anything different. I have silkies and not sure what you are hatching or how aggressive the breed may be though.
    Good luck with your hatch!

6. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Quote:What she said! Please don't open it!

7. snick

Dec 5, 2010
    Good idea Lisa...the one that hatched last night hardly chirped at all last night after lights went out and we went to bed...also I am noticing that the new one is perking up more after hatch then the one last night...guess from its siblings aggrevation...lol. Okay towel over brooder and going to get coffee...this is so addicting... [​IMG]

8. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    YaaaaaaY! I was getting nerveous over here. Good Choice! Great suggestion Lisa.

9. kristim23

kristim23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    Way to go on your hatch! Post some pics when they're all out!!

[​IMG]

10. Oh, watch out that the temperature doesn't go up if you cover the whole incubator (rather than just the windows).
    I usually have a couple of books covering the windows.
    Good luck with the rest! And pics as soon as they are all out!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by