Hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I8CHICKENS, Mar 12, 2015.

1. I8CHICKENS

I8CHICKENS Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    was wondering when incubating eggs, and some chicks completely hatch i leave them in the incubator to dry and fluff. While in there they knock around and roll all of the unhatched eggs. Should i get the chicks out as soon as they hatch or are they not bothering the unhatched chicks?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The majority belief is that the unhatched eggs are unaffected by the already hatched chicks playing soccer with them. [​IMG] I don't get too concerned about them bouncing off the eggs, other than rolling them, they don't seem to go through too much "trauma". I do remove mine periodically though. I have other reasons for my decision to remove them. Many people leave them in until the hatch is done, which is fine. Technically they don't need outside substance for 2-3 days. I, however feel it's a personal decision that should be based on your comfort level and your humidity level. I would not remove them as they hatch as they need the time to start drying off and to rest, but once I have a few (very active) chicks I remove them to the brooder. I also keep my humidity at hatch upwards of 75%. If you have good humidity levels (above 65% more like 70%+) and you're comfortable moving them, I see that as fine. If you have low humidity or struggle to keep your humidity at 65% I woud think twice because in reality the lower humidity you have the more chance you are going to shrinkwrap other chicks in the egg by opening the bator.

3. I8CHICKENS

I8CHICKENS Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    ok thanks for the reply!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by