1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatchling (duck) with leg issue--help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iamcuriositycat, Sep 9, 2009.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Okay, here is a picture of Chance, the little duckling who hatched out with crippled legs. I am open to suggestions for helping him:

[​IMG]

The leg out behind him stays out like that all the time--he can't get it under him. He can move it, and uses it for balance and to push himself out of difficult situations. Both legs seemed like that when he was first hatched, and the right leg has fixed itself as he's gained strength. This one seems only to be getting worse.

He is strong and vigorous, and pushes himself back and forth to the water, food, and sleeping pile under the light. He just can't stand up.

I tried wrapping the leg with cotton bandage, so that it was held against his chest. But it won't stay on, and also while it's on he can't balance and keeps ending up on his back. My son is holding him right now keeping the leg up against his chest in hopes that we can "retrain" it.

I fed him some egg yolk this morning. He doesn't really need our help getting food & water, as he is mobile enough. But I do carry him to the water from time to time to make sure he's getting enough.

Thanks for any thoughts and tips.

2. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Hi CAt - Have you tried 'exercizing' him, I cupped one completely in my hands and made sure he was in a normal position (you might have to move the leg to make it look like the other) completely cover the baby and tell him to push like he is trying to hatch out of your hand. Do it while you are at the computer reading posts. Let him get a little tired, but not too much. Do it often and see if he is getting better. Worked for me.

3. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks, cracking. My son and I have been doing that all day per your suggestion. No major improvement yet, but here's hoping it will help. Poor little guy.

4. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    Just had a baby chicken to do the same thing. I used the bandaide to tie them together underneath him, left it for about 5 days. He is now walking correctly but with a limp. I also massaged it daily and exersiced it each day. I am hoping the limp will go away as it matures. Good luck. There are posts on here about how to do the bandaide for spraddled legs. I know that is exactly what it is but it worked.

5. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, he is showing some minor improvement this evening. He actually tries to stand up on both legs. He is shaky and has to use his tail to balance, but the fact that he is even trying is excellent. He also puts the leg further up under himself sometimes. He still rests with it way behind him, and moves around by scooting with it more or less behind him, but a little improvement is a good thing.

Thanks for the thoughts on the band-aid. When he tries to stand up, he looks kind of spraddled--the legs go out at odd angles--and even though that's not technically what it is, maybe a spraddled leg remedy will help. Thank you!

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Have you tried letting him swim? I let mine swim at only a couple of days old. As long as you stay with him and dry him off thoroughly afterwards he should be okay.

7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the swimming tip. I will try it tomorrow.

Chance continues to show very slow progress. I'm okay with that. As long as he's showing progress I will continue to give him a chance and keep working with him.

He tries to stand up fairly regularly now, and puts the leg further up under him when scooting around the brooder. When he stands, his legs look spraddled, but I'll take spraddled over his current condition.

I'll keep everyone updated. I hope, in a few days, to be able to post a picture of Chance walking around like his broodmates. Even if he's somewhat lame all his life, if he can just get up off the ground I'll be pleased.

8. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Edited to remove content intended for a different thread. It was late, and I was in the throes of an addiction fever. I think I'm feeling more sane this morning, though tired and a bit hung over (you know, from my hatching addiction bender).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  9. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

heather, what is the purpose for buying the rabbit cage? you want to raise quail inside the rabbit?

10. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    OOPS! I was posting in the middle of the night and put that in the wrong thread! It should have gone to my post about my empty incubator... I'll try and fix it later, but I'm supposed to be getting ready for work today.

I just came on here quickly to let everyone know that Chance is showing marked improvement this morining!!!! He is actually standing up and taking a few steps in a standing position! He is still shaky, weak, his legs go out to the sides like they're spraddled and his tail sticks down to help balance, but he's doing it!!! If he continues to improve, even a bit at a time, he'll be well eventually!

On a less good note, he woke up sopping wet this morning--he was on the bottom of the pile, where the straw under the blanket got pushed way down to the bottom of the tub, and there is apparently standing water. Poor baby! I've got to fix the problem before I go to work.

But he's standing! And taking his first real steps!! It's like watching a baby learn to walk in fast forward!

Gotta run--

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by