HATCHLING HELP!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DaSouthernYankee, Jun 3, 2019.

1. DaSouthernYankee

DaSouthernYankee Songster

Sep 13, 2018
    Louisiana
    Hey guys! So after my first duckling hatched and drowned I became very disheartened and decided to try the incubator. Today I woke up to a duckling! And then watched another hatch! My incubator is not very large and I’m going to let them rest a bit since they aren’t very dry. But how soon can I move them to a temperature regulated brooder? Will it hurt them if I move them too soon?
    I just feel like they’re about to be squished up in there in any more hatch and there’s about ten more eggs!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

3. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Quack! Quack!

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    As long as the brooder is warm enough, you can go ahead and move them there. Even if they’re not completely dry, a warm brooder isn’t going to hurt them :) Congratulations! :celebrate

4. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    I would let them rest/dry off before moving them. Usually about several hours. Also, when you go to remove the ducklings, be sure there are no eggs pipping. if you open the incubator while other eggs are pipping/hatching, it will be very difficult for those eggs to hatch. Good luck and Congrats!

5. DaSouthernYankee

Sep 13, 2018
    Louisiana
    Thank you all for the insight!! It appears one more is popped so I think I’ll let them rest while I make sure the brooder is stable and warm today and hopefully the other pup- squeak will make a debut shortly so I can move them together!!!

I am so very thrilled, pics coming shortly!!!

6. AltonaAcres

AltonaAcres Songster

Jan 13, 2019
    So excited to see them!! The ducklings will be fine in there for up to 24 hours.

7. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    I put mine in the brooder a few hours after they hatch.

8. DaSouthernYankee

Sep 13, 2018
    Louisiana
    It looks like I have two more pipped and the 2 babies are getting pretty active, are they going to harm the unhatched eggs?

9. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I just hatched 11 and moved mine to their brooder fairly soon after they hatch. They were all did just fine. It took 2 days for all of them to hatch and eggs were pipped all over the place so I had to open the incubator to get them out.

I also had to set up 2 brooders, one for the "big kids" and one for the "newborns" because there were so many hours in between and the big kids were pecking at the babies.

I have a mirror in there and they really like that especially if they are alone.

10. MamaLiss

MamaLiss Chirping

May 19, 2017
    Good morning hatching friends! I hope to join your excitement with hatching next week. Were on day 22. Today I noticed a smell coming from the incubator. I candled the eggs and i thing I found the culprit. I'm attaching 2 pictures, can you confirm that it's a quitter?

Thanks so much looking forward to pictures of your new cuties!

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: