Hatchlings! Button Quail- Mountain View, CA

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by jaybme, Aug 30, 2009.

1. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had great luck with my sweet buttons, and the mama is sitting on eggs again. I am over run, and just want good homes for these cuties.

If you are new to Buttons, look them up on Google. Tons of info there. In my case, I only partially tame as I am a busy mom of 4 and have chooks and a veggie garden too- only so much time in the day.

My Button mom is a great colored Cinnamon, and her mate is a gorgeous normal. They seem to produce all the colors of the rainbow, though not too many normals.

The last hatch was two silver, two pearl (now I see the difference!) a normal and two cinnamon.

They live in a pigeon coop in my back yard year round, and thrive. This hatch is due about September 5th.

If you are interested in chicks, let me know. I usually donate the chicks to local stores, but thought some might be interested in getting these cuties.

Let me know if you are interested!

2. Califowlday

Califowlday Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Do you ever sell fertile eggs? If so how much? I don't live very far from you and could pick them up.

Thanks!

-Jaxy

3. muddipuppy

muddipuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    I also live in MV. Can buttons free range?

4. muddipuppy

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    I did a little googling and now have even more questions. Can they live with my chickens in their coop? If I let them out will they go back in the coop like the chickens do? I see that people let them in the house which leaves me wondering if they don't poop as much/often as chickens do. Lots of questions. Definitely interested. They're super cute. You can call if that's easier: 408.656.6826.
    Amberlin

5. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

I can sell eggs, but not right now as she is sitting on a dozen. She will start laying again in a couple of weeks. [​IMG]

Buttons are a ground bird and very hardy, so in theory they could free range. I do not have them out, because I learned the hard way that birds of prey love to eat them, and so do cats. [​IMG]

Every evening they all huddle together in a basket, so in theory they would go to where ever they thought their home was, but they are very easily frightened, so I do not think they would live with chickens.

My chickens would chase them off if nothing else- they chase off all wild bird visitors to our yard.

I got a used pigeon coop on craigslist, and they live in there. Since it has legs they are off the ground and safe from predators, including my cats, racoons and skunks that would love to kill and eat them.

They poop. Often. But it is tiny like them, so maybe some people don't mind?

I would love to share them with you- let me know if you want any chicks! [​IMG]

6. muddipuppy

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    I'm definitely interested. I wouldn't be ready for about a month though. Do you think you will have some then? Can you sex baby quail?

They are utterly adorable.

7. muddipuppy

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    I think I would like to try to see if I could be a good button mama. I'm actually at the hospital right now, dealing with some health stuff and I don't know when I will be out. It's looking like a week or two. Will you have chicks some time after that do you think?

Thanks soo much for the offer. How exciting!
    Amberlin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by